Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't set gas in my Ford ka

Zoe080402

Hi I have recently passed my test on October and have been using a ford ka 2015. I am having quite a lot of trouble with the clutch and with being a new driver it is knocking my confidence a bit. The issue is whenever I am setting off the car won't let me set the gas as it just screams at me. (not the normal sound it should make) and it also jumps. Like lunges forward. Usually I can set off just with the clutch but I don't set off very fast and it juders I'm pretty sure the majority of the problem with it is that the clutch is going and probably needs replacing but that's around £300. So don't know if it's worth it if I still won't be able to set the gas. Is this a normal thing in this car? As if it is I'll buy another car but if its going to get better I'll spend the £300. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thank you! 

I should ask a friend to have a drive and let them tell you what they think.

I have been driving for 40 years but I have trouble driving my wife's Mazda 2 smoothly. It sounds a bit like the problem you have. the throttle seems a bit sensitive and it revs very easily. And if I am pulling away uphill on a wet road I wheelspin like mad like I am trying to be a boy racer.  I have not driven another Mazda 2 so I don't know if they are all like it.

I agree with Billyboy that another driver needs to drive your car to see if they have same problem. And also you need to drive another of the same model to see if the same. It might not be dodgy clutch, it might just be how they are all made. 

I believe your car is a mk2 KA which is not a true ford, it is made by Fiat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ka

have you tried moving the seat backwards and forwards so the angle of your leg is different at the critical point where the clutch engages?

Some superminis/city cars have awful clutches.  My sister had a C1 until recently...there was no feel to the clutch at all and the bite was right at the top of the pedal.  I really struggled to drive it myself despite having driven hundreds of cars up to 20 years old!

As a new driver, I would assume you learnt in a diesel car?   Petrols need to be driven a bit differently, especially small, low end models, but you should be able to get used to it.  Instead of trying to 'set' the gas and hold the bite like a diesel, you might find it easier to give it a rev a bit higher than you need and lift the clutch in at the same time.  Letting off the handbrake as it starts to pull.  

Unfortunately the clutches do seem to wear out quickly on cheaper cars so it's worth letting some one else drive it as others suggest.

Thank you all for these suggestions. My sister has the same car so we are gonna both have a go in the others car and see if it feels any different! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club