Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Valves Hissing

PeterBfd

Hi All,

I have had my Edge Sport now for 1 week and pumped all tyres up today

However I have now noticed today 3 out of the 4 tyres are hissing at the valve

Is this a Edge thing or is it just a case that the valves have not been fitted right (all tyres seem to be almost new)?

The valves could be sticky, it's a common fault, go to your nearest tyre shop and get the valve cores changed (takes about 5 minutes)

Hi, I phoned Ford this morning and they confirmed that the Tyres and Valves are brand new.

This morning however, they have stopped hissing.

I have looked at the pressures inside the car and it states 3 are at 35 and 1 at 36.

Is it possible that if you over inflate the tyres, the valves are clever enough to release air until the correct pressure is met (assuming 36 is Ok for the 20inch tyres)

Never heard of this but would explain it...

Valves are not in the slightest bit clever. Rather dumb I must say. 

3 hours ago, PeterBfd said:

Hi, I phoned Ford this morning and they confirmed that the Tyres and Valves are brand new.

This morning however, they have stopped hissing.

I have looked at the pressures inside the car and it states 3 are at 35 and 1 at 36.

Is it possible that if you over inflate the tyres, the valves are clever enough to release air until the correct pressure is met (assuming 36 is Ok for the 20inch tyres)

Never heard of this but would explain it...

The holes in the rim where the valves fit are prone to corrosion and with the paint and dirt, etc you'll find that the valve stem doesn't conform to the shape until the rubber gives a little under pressure. Also in the valves stem itself is a small O ring seal which takes a bit of pressure to seat. So, it's not uncommon to get slight air seepage until everything beds in. Saying that, my local dealer always fits the valves into the hub with liquid rubber to help that bedding in and sealing process to happen quicker and better! I've had that happen on a few new tyres in the past.

Interesting, that does explain the hissing stopping.

Brand new tyres and valves and the alloys are also in perfect condition so corrosion should not be the reason,

I am just glad I don't have pay out to get this sorted.

Thanks

With all the above in mind, it might be an idea to check the tyre pressures at that start if each day, just in case. If, after 3-4 days the pressure remains the same, then I would accept that it’s new valve stems bedding in. 

Yep, will do. After 3 days one tyre has gone down 1 psi so assume all is now Ok

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would add to this old thread, Been 2 years since I bought my edge now and this hissing is still there

2 tires still need pumping up on a weekly basis.

Brand new value stems at the time of buying so still waiting for them to settle in 🙂

• Sad 1

Surely by now you will have had the tyres removed, rims cleaned and tyres re-sealed. I wouldn’t drive about with leaking air from my tyres for more than a week or two. The 20” alloys should have 35psi all round. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a fault valve stem had a new one fitted OK now. My tyre fitter ( who's my friend) said pressure washer can effect the sealing of the valve in the rim not always though.

Regards John.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club