Sign in to follow this  
Vinegarjoe

C Max Bonnet lock

Hi there,
First post. Son-in-law just got his first car (at 33!!!). Ford C Max 2007 1.6. Just had it up at mine yesterday for a good clean up and check out.
Struggled to get the bonnet open.
I know the old left then right thing with the key but didn't work. With a combo of pushing down on the bonnet and turning the key, eventually got it to open.
Examining the lock it does not look (to me) to be retracting enough when the key is turned, therefore not releasing every time.
Question is. Can I adjust the lock to pull back a bit further to release the catch??? And if so how to.

Thanks in advance
Rgds. Phil

Just needs some lubrication is my guess WD40 then some lithium grease on the catch lubricant the key hole too again good blast of WD then some silicone spray 

If you do a search in the Focus section or YouTube you will see that they are notorious and usually end up locking people out of their engine bays.

If lubrication does not work you can buy aftermarket parts at a reasonable price. The actual Latch or Bowden cable may need replaced along with the better designed replacement plastic clip as per this link   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bonnet-Lock-Catch-Cable-Clip-UPGRADE-Repair-PART-for-FORD-Focus-C-Max-2004-2011/283777867648?hash=item42127a9f80:g:z48AAOSwgQ9VoOBQ

The safest thing to do is replace all the parts.

In the meantime if you have any doubt about it locking you out before you get it fixed and have an oversized flat bladed screwdriver then you can remove the Bowden cable and open the bonnet with the screwdriver. Either that or if you remove the grill and cable you can use a normal sized screwdriver until you are confident that it is working properly.

It can be fixed if it does lock you out but if you don't have a ramp and the right sized tools it is a pig of a job to unbolt the latch from behind the radiator.

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Ordered a plastic shaft as a start. Will give it a go when he next appears. Will let you know.

Rgds

Phil