Edwards252

Ford Mondeo 2008 TDCI

Recommended Posts

Hi

i recently bought a ford Mondeo zetec tdci and after a week the service oil light came on followed by engine malfunction. The dealer insisited that it’s been serviced and as it’s running well they decided it’s fine and reset the warning lights. It’s now come on again but they seem to have no idea what it is. I am taking it back to them on Monday but I’m wondering what it could be? When idling there seems to be a strong smell of exhaust fumes and when I try to set off in first gear it seems to stall if I don’t give it plenty of revs. any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What engine size? What fault codes were showing when engine malfunction light was on, as shown on the fault code reader  that was used to reset 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Edwards252 said:

Hi

i recently bought a ford Mondeo zetec tdci and after a week the service oil light came on followed by engine malfunction. The dealer insisited that it’s been serviced and as it’s running well they decided it’s fine and reset the warning lights. It’s now come on again but they seem to have no idea what it is. I am taking it back to them on Monday but I’m wondering what it could be? When idling there seems to be a strong smell of exhaust fumes and when I try to set off in first gear it seems to stall if I don’t give it plenty of revs. any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Sounds like a problem with the DPF perhaps its blocked 

The DPF is a honeycomb style large filter which I'd positioned below the turbo under the engine bay and is part of the exhaust system; catches carbon from the exhaust fumes, they tend to give alot of trouble and block up if driven on alot of short journeys. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, isetta said:

What engine size? What fault codes were showing when engine malfunction light was on, as shown on the fault code reader  that was used to reset 

2.0 and he said nothing was coming up but he said his code reader wasn’t the best so he’s taking it to another garage. Just want it sorting now it’s doing my head in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Sounds like a problem with the DPF perhaps its blocked 

The DPF is a honeycomb style large filter which I'd positioned below the turbo under the engine bay and is part of the exhaust system; catches carbon from the exhaust fumes, they tend to give alot of trouble and block up if driven on alot of short journeys. 

 

It does sound possible and it does seem to be drinking diesel really fast would that be possible for a dpf problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Edwards252 said:

It does sound possible and it does seem to be drinking diesel really fast would that be possible for a dpf problem? 

The first generation of DPF which yours would be using;

Used some Diesel aswell as eloys fluid to ignite itself inside every now and then to dissolve the carbon; if it's trying to regenerate then it will dump fuel alot, the garage can force regeneration via computer.

Could be leaking injector but that would smell all of the time and fuel would be visible on top of the engine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lenny said:

The first generation of DPF which yours would be using;

Used some Diesel aswell as eloys fluid to ignite itself inside every now and then to dissolve the carbon; if it's trying to regenerate then it will dump fuel alot, the garage can force regeneration via computer.

Could be leaking injector but that would smell all of the time and fuel would be visible on top of the engine 

Thanks for you help much appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.