Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powered tailgate not working

SamThompson

Had a problem start on my 2017 Edge sport yesterday where the tailgate won’t open or close. When you press the button to open the tailgate the lights flash as normal and it unlocks but doesn’t open the door.

I then have to open the door manually. Again when I want to shut the door I have to push it shut and force it to lock. When I do this the whole door judders and doesn’t sound right. Even when I close it the car doesn’t recognise that it’s shut and shows the symbol on the dash saying that it’s still open.

I’ve priced up a brand new unit for the powered damper from ford but it’s coming out at £260 ish so I’ve ended up buying a used one from eBay for £45 as I think it’s worth the risk.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Are you parked on a slope or a up a kurb? I've known the tailgates to not want to work if parked at angles as only the one side is a powered damper. If not then a damper might be the way to go anything more than that gets a bit complicated.

The tailgate is a complex bit of kit with around 3 motors, 6 or 7 switches and quite a bit of sequencing driven by an ECU! Most tailgate issues are caused by alignment problems (there have been a few failures of the tailgate lift motors). Hence the problems people (and I) have had when parked on uneven surfaces). Get the alignment checked. A low cost fault code reader will tell you if a sensor or motor is faulty.

If the tailgate doesn't open using the button on the boot lid, try the keyfob or button next to the lighting switch (by your right knee when driving!). All the button and open/close inputs to the tailgate ECU are handled in different ways, so whilst one doesn't work, the other should (until you get it fixed).

Warning: If the tailgate doesn't lock properly, the rest of the car ECU's don't go to sleep and your battery WILL go flat overnight!

Hi All

Way back in 2016 when I picked up my Edge, dealer was giving me demo of car controls. When it came to the tailgate, it failed to close, so dealer had to close it manually. After couple of three warranty visits fault diagnosed as faulty strut motor, so warranty replacement, has been good as gold since (including trying to eat me when I am putting shopping in boot and activate the foot kick sensor under car, lol).

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

hi all,

Is there a way to deactivate the kick sensor at all. I know you can deactivate the button switch on the hatch by going into settings. That doesnt make sense to me as i presumed it deactivated the kick sensor which sometimes is over sensitive in my experience. 

Thanks

• 8 months later...

After having intermittent problems with the boot opening and closing, i want to do a reset of the module and would rather pull the fuse than disconnect the battery. Do any of you know where and which fuse to pull by any chance. TIA

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club