Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where is the throttle body on a 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Hatchback?

mikeyj001

Hi,

I'm rebuilding the car as a project.  I finally got the car started, but it won't rev above 1500 rpm.  MAF sensor is now clean, but I can't locate the throttle body. 

The Haynes manual doesn't mention it, so I'm a bit stuck.  I want to make sure it's clean (if it exists) before looking at the injectors.

Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks

Thanks for the relpy Mike, so it looks like an injector pull and clean then.

We used to have a facelift Mk1 with the 1.8TDCi and I'm 99% sure that particular engine doesn't have a throttle (it doesn't have a DPF either which is a bonus!). The failure to rev above 1500 sounds like it's in limp mode. You really need to check for diagnostic codes. If you get a cheap OBD reader bear in mind that these will only read generic codes and not Ford-specific ones although it might be enough to pinpoint your problem. It's well worth investing in a more powerful system though and actually not that expensive.

The Focus has two separate CAN buses, a high-speed one that covers things like the powertrain and a medium-speed one for body functions. To read all codes you need a modified ELM cable that has a switch to access both buses. Personally I prefer the USB ELM cable plugged into a laptop rather than the bluetooth one but if you only have access to a smartphone then you might have to go with bluetooth although I think it's more limited in it's functions (maybe one of the other members can confirm or deny this). The software program FORScan is free for the Windows version but I think there's a small charge for the Android version.

The most reliable cables are available from Tunnelrat Electronics. They now offer a cable with an automatic bus switch in addition to the manual and wireless versions, see here.

• Like 3

Hi.  Sorry for my late reply, I didn't get notification of any more responses.

Anyhow, just so you have a full picture, I bought this car as a project.  It had no keys, the bonnet wouldn't open and it had no communication at all.  I also had to fix a hole drilled in the petrol tank, not sure if that was done on purpose or the fuel was stolen.  I've fixed the fuel gauge which still intermittently doesn't show the amount of fuel.  I believe it's a connector issue.

I've also changed all the filters, and had a hard time priming the engine until I bought an electric pump/primer.  So now it runs and idles at around 800 rpm, but won't rev past 1500 rpm, so you're probably right that it's in limp mode.

I bought a bbfly-BF32301 Elm 327 to use with FORScan.  Once I repaired the communication network I was able to program the keys.

Last weekend I took out the injectors in the hope I can get them reconditioned and save the trouble of reprogramming them.  I found that Siemens say they are non-serviceable i.e. they don't sell oem replacement parts for the injector, so they had to be replaced with new ones if they didn't work right.  So I'm going to try refurbishing them myself as there are a couple of YouTube videos I can follow.  A local dismantler says they don't sell used injectors, and I don't know if other dismantlers will sell them.

So that's where I'm at now, and not relishing spending at least £165 for one injector.

The codes I have are U2005-F1, U0121-F1, P1202-62, P1201-62, U2005-P, U1900-60, U2200-60, U1900-60, U2197-60.  So until I recondition the injectors, I won't know if something else is causing an issue, as sometimes I get no codes showing nothing is wrong with the modules.

8 hours ago, mikeyj001 said:

The codes I have are U2005-F1, U0121-F1, P1202-62, P1201-62, U2005-P, U1900-60, U2200-60, U1900-60, U2197-60.  So until I recondition the injectors, I won't know if something else is causing an issue, as sometimes I get no codes showing nothing is wrong with the modules.

Have you cleared the codes and then all these codes come back?

I assume you have the sensor on the air inlet just after the air box plugged in, I only mention it because I forgot to plug it back in once and the although it didn't trigger the engine management light the car wouldn't rev out.

Yes, I have done.  As mentioned above, the MAF sensor is clean and plugged in.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club