Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st gear issue

fiesta_lad

Hi all i have a focus 1.8 TDCI 58 plate 2009 got nearly 78000 on the clock.

I've noticed lately it can be a nightmare going into 1st gear doesn't happen all the time but when i am stationey it can be hard to select or when I am slowing right down I've notice as well a slight mist of oil around the gear box its not dripping.

Any help or advice would be appreciated 

Thanks 

I would check the gearbox oil level as selector seals can eventually leak. Have you got any patches where you park? 

Is the colour black or brown? There is also peeps who have issues with the selector cables coming loose. 

Looks black just been out in it then and didn't have any issues with 1st gear.

Black will be engine oil a slight mist is the norm on these diesel engines but too much then you have a problem which could be a seal. What you can try is before you take off select the gear with the clutch in before you start the engine it may be the plates sticking when damp. I would still get the oil checked in the gearbox though cos for life is rubbish. 

• Like 1

Going to get my mechanic to check the gear box levels and top up if needs be. And just a general look over the gearbox but will try what u said later thank you 

• Like 1

do you live by the sea side, or parked in a flood ???

rust on the gearbox input shaft, sticks the centre place (clutch plate) against the flywheel or pressure plate and drive is still going through with your foot on the clutch

if it works with the engine off, then its unlikely the gearbox or shift mechanism (that would be stiff / stuck all the time), if OK with the engine off and almost impossible when running, time for the box to come out, trashing the gearbox trying to save 500 on a clutch is not cost effective

On 9/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, fiesta_lad said:

Going to get my mechanic to check the gear box levels and top up if needs be. And just a general look over the gearbox but will try what u said later thank you 

I was only finding 1st gear selection a problem sometimes, specifically when my car is rolling slightly (1-2 MPH).

After a bit of research it turns out that anyone who's tuned a car with the MTX-75 gearbox replaces the gearbox oil with this stuff from Ford.  I've not had a single issue getting a gear since I replaced the fluid, incidentally the gearbox takes 1.9 litres so you'd need 2 bottles of fluid.  I've also found the gearbox altogether a bit smoother overall since changing the fluid, interestingly the old fluid didn't look particularly dirty when it was removed but the gearbox is definitely much better after a fluid change.

"Sealed for life" is also utter bull:shit: (for all manufacturers, not just Ford).

• Like 1

Just now, fiesta_lad said:

Is it easy to change 

Yes mate, take a look at this vid and it walks you through it end to end.

18 minutes ago, fiesta_lad said:

Cheers mate 👍 

No worries, don't forget to let us know how you get on.  Oh and both the drain and fill plugs were REALLY tight so you'll want a bar instead of a ratchet to get them out....unless you want to risk snapping a ratchet.

Sorry how would i know if I had a MTX 75 gearbox thanks 😊 

Have the ford focus 1.8TDCI 2009 58 plate have the MTX 75 gearbox thanks

On 9/12/2020 at 10:43 PM, fiesta_lad said:

ahhh thank you will give it a change then cheers 👍

All manual MK2 1.6 TDCi's and 1.8 TDCi's were fitted with the MTX-75 boxes

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club