Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help needed

Martyitus

Hi guys, about to set off this morning and my car had a little struggle starting but it started first time, it was just a weak start. Tried to reverse out and the steering was incredibly heavy to turn, then it went normal so I set off and it’s normal until I slow down or stop then it starts getting heavy to turn again. (Embarrassing when turning in a corner slowly).

on the way home it doesn’t go back to normal at all, I’m almost home and the ABS, traction/skid light, hill start assist error and then the battery light in red. Now it won’t start at all. 

So I guess the battery is dead but any idea if the battery caused all of this or is there another underlying issue? The battery is less than 2 years old.

thanks

Well, might help if you gave a few details of model, year of your car. But sounds like either your power steering pump isn't working, if its a hydraulic system, or your power steering motor is in trouble of its an electric power steering system. If the battery is only 2 years old, then sonething has put a big drain on it. Don't replace it recharge it! Call your breakdown people out, if it's AA or RAC, they'll diagnosis it properly, if it's Green Flag theyll just tow you somewhere. 

• Like 2

Apologies. It’s a 2012 2.0 diesel power shift.

Update - it just started like normal which is bizarre, but it started revving slightly on its own then engine malfunction came up, then transmission malfunction, steering still stiff. 

Strange no one else has responded. Try the Talkford.com forum, they seem to have a lot more mechanically minded members on there. If you're in the AA or RAC, get them out! You need the fault codes reading and the power steering system looking at. If its hydraulic  check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir, if its electric then there are known issues with the aluminium mounting bolts holding the motor corroding and fracturing

I'd recommend to everyone to get a tunnelrat cable, it's only a few quid and well worth it.  If nothing else it lets you go to garage with knowledge so you know if they are being truthful or not

• Like 1

Got the car started with a lithium booster, started hearing a little grinding from the alternator and little bits of filings surrounding it, perhaps rubber or metal? Tried another booster and it wouldn’t start, just clicking. battery reading just over 10v when engine isn’t on. 

the power steering is electrical, no pump. 

am I right in thinking both the alternator and battery have gone? Is it related to the power steering in regards to circuitry? 

OBD reader on the laptop came up with no errors whatsoever 

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you visually checked the battery?  Terminals might be loose or corroded.

Looks fine mate the battery is around 2 years old

28 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

I am really no expert, but could it be something to do with the drive belt? Perhaps it is warn and losing traction, be covered in oil, this might explain the lack of charge in the battery if the alternator's rotor is not being rotated properly, and even possibly why the power steering is intermittent as the pump is powered by the drive belt. Could also explain why the car is not starting properly or taking more effort than usual.

Like I said I am no expert but this may be something to consider, I hope that you are able to pin point the issue and get a quick fix, it is never helpful having a car that has issues you have not came across before, Good Luck😀

Possibly, it looked fine but it may be rubbing and that’s what the filings are

28 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

I hear that the pulleys can sometimes become seized, this causes a squeaking sound. Could be a culprit.

I think I’m going to get rid of it soon, I’ve spent at least 3k in the past two years with stuff going wrong. Don’t want a Ford ever again 😂

12 hours ago, Martyitus said:

I think I’m going to get rid of it soon, I’ve spent at least 3k in the past two years with stuff going wrong. Don’t want a Ford ever again 😂

You bought the wrong model tbh...99% of Mk3s are crap! :laugh: 

This is definitely a power issue.  I don't think there's anything wrong with the PAS system at all but it takes a huge amount of power to run so one of the first things to fail when power drops. 

The battery is knackered if it's only reading 10v.  Filings around the alternator sound worrying though, can you post a picture?

Are you totally sure it's the right battery?  These need to be silver calcium.  And if it's a stop start model it'll need to be EFB as well.  A standard battery won't last long on these.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You bought the wrong model tbh...99% of Mk3s are crap!

I must be in the remaining 1% then as in the five years we've had ours it's not had any problems other than the 8-year-old battery needing to be replaced :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Just now, mjt said:

I must be in the remaining 1% then as in the five years we've had ours it's not had any problems other than the 8-year-old battery needing to be replaced :biggrin:

No leaky boot?  No faulty AC?  No peeling door seals?  No dodgy electrics?  No faulty clutch?  No split degas hose?  You should consider yourself very lucky!! :biggrin: 

In fairness I have had peeling door seals but none of the other issues and the recall degas hose hasn't split - yet! 😀

• Like 1

It would be worth checking the main earthing strap.  I had heard of similar issues on other cars where the manufacturer strap is poorly connected.  The fix is basically to redrill a proper hold and make a proper large earthing surface.  Or it could simply be corroded.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club