Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of buying a '12 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0TDCI 136ps. What to look out for? Common issues?

Paddy94

Hi lads.

As the title says, I'm currently looking to replace my current car and have seen a lovely looking Mondeo for sale. 2.0TDCi, all the toys, etc.

Said car has FSH and 112,000 miles, it's a 2012.

Looks in very good nick inside and out. Haven't gone to see it in person yet due to COVID and such, but as all cars do, it looks quite nice in the pictures.

Just dropping in to ask what's probably been said a thousand or more times. What to look out for? Common things that go or anything like that? I'm also going to assume that being a 2012, the engine in this isn't the same lump from the 07+ cars? Have that same engine in my current Volvo and would like to stay away if possible (Don't ask.)

On 1/22/2021 at 10:59 PM, Paddy94 said:

Hi lads.

As the title says, I'm currently looking to replace my current car and have seen a lovely looking Mondeo for sale. 2.0TDCi, all the toys, etc.

Looks in very good nick inside and out. Haven't gone to see it in person yet due to COVID and such, but as all cars do, it looks quite nice in the pictures.

Just dropping in to ask what's probably been said a thousand or more times. What to look out for? Common things that go or anything like that? I'm also going to assume that being a 2012, the engine in this isn't the same lump from the 07+ cars? Have that same engine in my current Volvo and would like to stay away if possible (Don't ask.)

The MK4.5 Mondy 2.0 TDCi unit IS a revised version of the engine in the MK4, you get a bit more performance and crucially the DPF is the non-maintenance version i.e. it's a coated DPF (cDPF) instead of the stupid Peugeot system involving the "eolys fluid".

Frankly, not much seems to go wrong consistently on the face lift models.  The more common issues such as the 1st generation DPF system and fragile steering racks seem to be have been resolved.

You might also want to check the TalkFord site as it's a bit more active for Mondeo stuff.

43 minutes ago, FatHead1979 said:

The MK4.5 Mondy 2.0 TDCi unit IS a revised version of the engine in the MK4, you get a bit more performance and crucially the DPF is the non-maintenance version i.e. it's a coated DPF (cDPF) instead of the stupid Peugeot system involving the "eolys fluid".

Frankly, not much seems to go wrong consistently on the face lift models.  The more common issues such as the 1st generation DPF system and fragile steering racks seem to be have been resolved.

You might also want to check the TalkFord site as it's a bit more active for Mondeo stuff.

Thanks for the reply and info, DPF was one of my worries but that puts me at ease some.

Appreciate it. 

• Like 1

As Damian says really.

You may still experience dpf regen problems though as the vaporiser can become blocked with carbon build up. I would expect at that mileage that it's probably had a replacement as at some point. I replaced mine at approx. 80K miles.

Also worth considering the usual things due at 10 years, Timing and aux belt change (10 years 0r 125,000 miles whichever comes first), Coolant change, brake fluid change. 

Fuel filter is due every 3 years.

Check if the rear trailing arm bushes have been replaced, I expect it would have by now but could cost £250+ for a garage to do if they have the tool. Rear end feels horrible when they're gone. 

Squeaking when turning the steering wheel, more noticeable when stationary, would most likely be the front top strut bushes/mounts (remove the strut assembly to replace)

As above about the Talkford forums, that was originally a Mondeo only forum so a lot of Mondeo owners there.

• Like 2

Be aware that the timing belts can be a very costly item(s) to have changed-but crucial. 

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to chip in what year did the MK4.5 Mondy 2.0 TDCi come out and does anyone no the engine name or number i might be getting one

thanks in adv

4 hours ago, dezwez said:

sorry to chip in what year did the MK4.5 Mondy 2.0 TDCi come out and does anyone no the engine name or number i might be getting one

thanks in adv

I think the crossover was late 2011, you can tell the difference because the MK4 2.0 TDCi was rated for 138 BHP and the MK4.5 was rated for 163 BHP.  I don't know if there were any physical changes to the engines or if the superior performance came from different software/tuning etc.

Could quite possibly be from early 2011, I have seen a 60 plate MK4.5 once. However, as Damian mentioned, the 163bhp might be from mid to late 2011 as there are MK4.5's with the 140bhp engine.

For reference, my MK4.5 2.2 200ps (pre facelift was 175ps) has a build date of January 2011 and was registered in March 2011.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2021 at 12:59 AM, Paddy94 said:

Hi lads.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club