Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres cracking between treads

Mog22

Hi

This is my first post here, just looking for some advice/opinions.  I recently bought a 2018 fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost from a local Ford main dealer, however in the second week of ownership I decided to check the tyre pressures and noticed that 3 of the four tyres have cracks in the grooves between the treads. (image attached).  Should I be concerned about this, I personally think they are potentially unsafe but wanted to get the opinion of other owners who may know more about tyres than myself.  I have contacted the dealer but they are refusing to do anything about it. I think it is very poor they have allowed a car like this on the road and am surprised they won't rectify it.  

Thankstyre-cracks.thumb.jpg.23d6b85713d77653f420ff575ea55ff5.jpg

You should check these things before you buy the car, not hope that the dealer will sort it out afterwards.

Are they Bridegstone by any chance? I seem to remember reading about another member with a similar issue despite the fact the tyres aren't that old.

They're not an MOT fail, but would probably come up as an advisory.
I wouldn't be expecting anything from the dealer as they are classed as a wear & tear item.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mog22 said:

Should I be concerned about this...

No. It's legal and it will pass an MOT.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies/advice, and yes Luke they are Bridgestone tyres, surprised to hear they are so bad as I thought they were a quality tyre!.  I think the dealer has been a bit cute as I wasn't given an MOT certificate with the car but they were obviously aware of the issue as it was down as an advisory on the MOT.  I will still have them changed myself as I have never driven cars with tyres in this state.  Any views on which tyres are considered good?

Thanks

There are a lot of good tyres.

It depends on your needs (weather, terrain where you live etc.).

I have been using Uniroyal all season tyres for many many years.

Tyres on my car at the moment.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3's are good in the rain (I should hope so, given the name!). However, they are quite a soft tyre so wear incredibly fast I found.

I've just fitted some more Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on my ST, although I'm tempted to swap to Goodyear Eagle F1's in about 6,000 miles when they're due again 😂.

Oh yes, Uniroyal rainsport's, forgot about those,  have had them on previous cars and had no problems with them.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  Initial all season sound good too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mog22 said:

I wasn't given an MOT certificate

Hi Kevin, MOT's are on line now the days of a real certificate are gone 😟. Some garages will give you a tatty old bit of A4 paper with faded print and grubby thumb prints but it seems thats an option now !

You can download you MOT results for free from the goverment website and even print it.

Last year my daughter bought an Ecosport from a Ford Dealer and we noticed just before buying it that the sidewalls on both rear tyers were badly cracked. We had to argue for half an hour that we wouldn't be buying it unless they changed the tyres which in the end they did. Like you we later found on line that the garage had marked them down as an advisory on the MOT that they had done the week before.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club