Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford ka 2013

Sophie 68

Hi all wonder if someone could advise please, i have ka 2013 petrol.

I have an intermittent problem in that after a longish journey when i stop i cant put my car into gear and it just grinds.

I have no problems normally with the clutch, no excess travel or slipping and most days have no problems with gears.

This happens typically with journeys over an hour.

My local garage say my gearbox is going so need new box and clutch.

Could he be right or just trying to make money out of me...

Thanks sophie

It's very difficult to say without driving the car. My thoughts would be with the clutch release bearing dragging the clutch when hot. Problem is that to replace the bearing you have to take the transmission/clutch apart, and if your going to do that it would be stupid not to replace the clutch at the same time.

I just can't see how you could have a problem with the actual gearbox, if the clutch fully works then there would be no reason for the gearbox to grind when trying to select a gear.

Thank you for your reply, it's so strange as day to day have no problems then suddenly after a long drive if i stop at lights then car will struggle to get into get gear.

Day to day around town so to speak i have no problems..

Next time that happens that you can't select a gear, switch off the engine (if it safe to do so) and then with engine off try and select a gear. If you go through the gears with engine stopped the problem has to be with the clutch.

It seems to me that when hot the clutch is not fully disengaging and hence the engine is still turning the gearbox.

• Like 1

Awesome thank you so much, I'll try this. If i have to pay for a clutch thats ok but not clutch and box, bit spenny then 😭

Just double check that there isn't a transmission fluid leak and that the transmission has the right amount of fluid in it first.

If that's OK, follow the advice UNOFIX has given you.

If the gearbox is failing it will make a noise all the time (when moving), not just when trying to engage gears, it sounds like a clutch issue.

It could just simply be that the clutch slave cylinder's fluid is very old and getting very hot and braking down and needs replacing.

If the brake/clutch fluid has not been changed, get that done too before you start spending money on the clutch

My definite advice is TRY ANOTHER REPAIRER

Thank you all for your advice, took my car to a different garage who test drove it and said there doesn't seem a problem with clutch or box but maybe a lack of oil in box so they are re doing box oil also clutch fluid renewing i believe, and also check cable isn't seizing up.

Thank you all for your advice soph

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sophie 68 said:

Thank you all for your advice, took my car to a different garage who test drove it and said there doesn't seem a problem with clutch or box but maybe a lack of oil in box so they are re doing box oil also clutch fluid renewing i believe, and also check cable isn't seizing up.

Thank you all for your advice soph

Ah, KA2 has a clutch cable then? I didn't know this, it's a Fiat 500 underneath.

Seizing clutch cable will cause this issue

KA 2 has a hydraulic clutch, could need bleeding. Worth checking before forking out on a new clutch or gearbox

• 2 months later...

Hi all sorry i am back for more advice please, after having clutch cylinder changed and all fluids renewed my problem is back we're by after decent journey the car struggles to get into gear.

What i did try after advice on here was turn engine off and then try putting into gear, the car went into gear then without problems.

Is this my clutch or gearbox please.

Thank you all sophie 💖

1 hour ago, Sophie 68 said:

What i did try after advice on here was turn engine off and then try putting into gear, the car went into gear then without problems.

Is this my clutch or gearbox please.

Clutch fault.  

If it's only happening after a long journey, it may be the clutch itself dragging.  The plates expand and the springs get weaker as it heats up stopping the clutch disengaging properly until cools again.  Personally, I'd try bleeding the hydraulic line again first though, just in case.

• Like 1

Thank you tom for your advice, i was hoping it wasn't the gearbox.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ka2 gear change lever to gearbox is via cables. The connection between the cable and the gearbox is a plastic thing that will wear out in time but is replaceable.

To view this and to check for wear you will have to remove the battery and the battery carrier plate. This done the culprit will be in view. Depending on how many miles/gear changes have been done it may need replacement. Any garage should be able to replace this item. About £30 from eBay.

5D4EBCCF-F853-43E0-9272-C96C96D67519.jpeg

On 2/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, Sophie 68 said:

Hi all sorry i am back for more advice please, after having clutch cylinder changed and all fluids renewed my problem is back we're by after decent journey the car struggles to get into gear.

I'm 99% certain this is a fault/problem with the clutch and not a problem with the gearbox.

You say that you had the "clutch cylinder" changed. I'm going to assume that this was the Clutch Master Cylinder, which in all probability would not have been faulty.

The most probable cause of the fault would be the 'Clutch Slave Cylinder' which is located inside the bell housing and requires the gearbox to be removed from the engine. Like I said in an earlier post, if you are going to take the gearbox out to replace the clutch slave cylinder you may as well replace the clutch at the same time.

Sophie 68 did say:-

Hi all sorry i am back for more advice please, after having clutch cylinder changed and all fluids renewed my problem is back we're by after decent journey the car struggles to get into gear

47 minutes ago, DaveD said:

Sophie 68 did say:-

Hi all sorry i am back for more advice please, after having clutch cylinder changed and all fluids renewed my problem is back we're by after decent journey the car struggles to get into gear

Just have a look at the routing of the pipework for the clutch slave cylinder to see if it's getting hot and insulate if needed.

Have you checked, topped up or changed the transmission oil?

Failing that you're going to have to fit a new clutch

On the Facebook Mk2 Ka owners club forum this has been discussed and the cure there seems to be the cable operated gear linkage worn cable to gearbox actuator, which is renewable. See also Fiat 500 Facebook forums also their symptoms are much like Sophie 68 describes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get this problem resolved as I have the same problem. New clutch fitted but problem still there exactly as Sophie described 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,Same here had new clutch and slave.

All cables intact too.

Any help would be appreciated if there's anything else that can be tried. Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club