Do Not Sell My Personal Information

oil pump drive belt tensioner failure

RGV

Hi, has anyone had this problem on their ecosport, looks like it is a weak point, if so is it related to the year of manufacture or did Ford fix the problem.

Many thanks. 

P.S. Happy Christmas everyone.

No, I have not had any issues, just picked up info that there might be issues further down the line.   

I believe this is more related to service intervals and oil used.

We have a 2018 service Fiesta with the Ecoboost engine now at 123K miles always serviced at 10k intervals.

Sump was dropped & belts checked at 120K looked fine. Always use Castrol oil & Ford oil filters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselPig said:

Ecoboost engine now at 123K miles

That's a very impressive amount of miles for a 1.0 ecoboost.

Are the wet belts not overdue for replacement ?

They probably are but we rotated the engine and there were no cracks or signs of degradation. We intend to buy another van this year so we let it roll!

6 hours ago, RGV said:

No, I have not had any issues, just picked up info that there might be issues further down the line.   

What engine is that? Ecoboost or diesel? 

I'm guessing its Petrol as he drives a Ecosport ST.

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

I'm guessing its Petrol as he drives a Ecosport ST.

Yeah, was just seeing which engine had oil pump drive belt tensioner. Tensioner only on engines with balancer shaft which is the ecoboost with 6spd auto 6f15 and not manual or 6spd auto 6f35.  Something like that without looking. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, RGV said:

has anyone had this problem on their ecosport, looks like it is a weak point

It would  be reasonable to say that the Ecosport as a model has most of it's problems with the Automatic gearbox. On the other hand the 1.0 Ecoboost engines have quite a number of issues mostly to do with the wet belts, oil pressure, cylinder head overheat, turbo lubrication failure, but to be fair I've not know of any problems with the belt tensioner, and I'm sure if it was an issue there would be many posts on here about it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, unofix said:

It would  be reasonable to say that the Ecosport as a model has most of it's problems with the Automatic gearbox. On the other hand the 1.0 Ecoboost engines have quite a number of issues mostly to do with the wet belts, oil pressure, cylinder head overheat, turbo lubrication failure, but to be fair I've not know of any problems with the belt tensioner, and I'm sure if it was an issue there would be many posts on here about it.

What sort of issues does the autobox have as I have one !!

• 7 months later...

Our 2018 Ford Ecosport with almost only 41k miles on it, we had just paid it off, before this happen on my way home from work. A Low oil Pressure message popped up along with the oil filler dash light, the vehicle immediately governed itself to a 40 mph max speed. So I had thought since the last oil change we had done still had half its cycle before the next one was do, that the oil change place must have forgotten to tighten the oil drain plug. But before I can find a place to safely pull over, the wrench light flashed briefly then the engine light lit and then the battery light lit up and car literally stalled as I was pulling into a parking lot. Luckily we had purchased an extended warranty plan plus we had also a roadside assistance through our car insurance. But long story short it had a failure at the oil pump belt and tensioner.  It's going to require a long block replacement, covered under the powertrain warranty. 

• 1 year later...

@Henry Chavarria  That is almost exactly what happened to my 2021 Ford Ecosport a couple of weeks ago. Except as I was driving carefully at less than 40 mph I heard the belt break. It sounded similar to when my serpentine belt broke on my Mustang years prior. 

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club