Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Front, Rear Parking Sensors & Reversing Camera

Zappa

Hi all

I’m sure this has been done to death and I have searched the forums including the FB group Mondeo Mk5 UK, but there are snippets of info which sometimes contradict each other.

Basically, I have a MK5 Mondeo 2.0 180 Titanium Estate with no parking sensors or camera fitted. Comes with the standard Sync 2 screen.

I would like to fit (or rather pay someone else to fit as I do not have the skills or patience) front & rear parking sensors flush & colour coded and whilst there are at it , a reversing camera all connected to the Sync screen.

I have had two quotes from mobile fitters who tell me in regards to the sensors this is not possible with aftermarket sensors.

The reversing camera can be linked to the screen at a cost of £595 the other fitter quoted £600

Aftermarket sensors will come with a dash top mounted led display one each for the front & back!

One fitted said

“Firstly it is not possible to link parking sensors to sync screen.

Rear camera into sync is £595.00.

Rear sensors are £160.

Front sensors switched £190 canbus £250

Front and rear switched front £280 with canbus front £355 

Canbus means that we fit a computer interface to the car which switches the front sensors on between o and 6mph

we do not fit flush sensors,ours are 2.2mm thick chamfering to 1/2mm”

------------------

Now whilst I do not have the skills to tackle this myself, at the end of the day the car was built from metal & plastic by a man or woman and therefore to my logic, could therefore be modified to work as I would like.

Does it for example need new wiring looms, there are loads on eBay purporting to be front & rear sensor wiring looms.

There is quite a detailed ‘How to’ compiled by JR Josh on FB in fitting an aftermarket reversing camera by splicing into a grey block in the headlining and using Forscan to re-program the Sync 2 unit for under £100, maybe less, but I am not that confident and am happy to pay to have it done.

Does any know of a fitter near Bath (Avon) who can fit the above and have it work as hoped?

Thanks in advance

11 minutes ago, Zappa said:

at the end of the day the car was built from metal & plastic by a man or woman and therefore to my logic, could therefore be modified to work as I would like.

As you correctly effectively say anything should be possible, and indeed it is.

So all you require is all the correct modules that would have been used if your car had been factory built with front & rear parking sensors, and a reverse camera. A new front and new rear bumper (will require painting) to accommodate the factory fitted flush sensors and a new wiring harness. Then just a quick simple matter of reprogramming your car to work with the new modules and you should be good to go !

If you find someone willing to tackle this little project expect to pay £3000 to £4000.

On 3/9/2022 at 6:57 PM, unofix said:

As you correctly effectively say anything should be possible, and indeed it is.

So all you require is all the correct modules that would have been used if your car had been factory built with front & rear parking sensors, and a reverse camera. A new front and new rear bumper (will require painting) to accommodate the factory fitted flush sensors and a new wiring harness. Then just a quick simple matter of reprogramming your car to work with the new modules and you should be good to go !

If you find someone willing to tackle this little project expect to pay £3000 to £4000.

Should anyone else be considering getting this type of work done, then I can tell you regardless of the advice above, I have just had a local auto electrician fit front & rear flush mounted sensors, colour coded, with CAN module, plus revering camera all linked into my existing Sync screen for under £1200.

Bumpers had to come off for install, but went back on after being drilled, rear boot handle was replaced to include OEM camera.

Worth every penny as I'm crap at DIY, but Golden rule is never take no for an answer..

• Like 1

Pleased you got it sorted and I'm sure it will meet your requirements.

I stand by estimate which is based on using genuine OEM equipment as would have been installed at the factory.

It would be nice to see some photos of the finished installation for others to see. Do the parking lines move with the steering with the system you have?

Ouch at £4000-£5000 and ouch at £1200. So glad my Mk5 came with front and rear sensors. Then all it cost me was £16 for a camera and programming to sync2. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club