Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 1.0 ecoboost 125hp cranks but doesn't start

TricaOpr
聽Share

Hello, I've been having this intermittent issue where I go to start the engine and it justs cranks very fast, so I know it can't be the battery, but it never starts, I let the clutch out so it quits trying. As I push the start button again, it cranks and eventually starts in 2-3 seconds.

In 4 years, it happened let's say 5 times so it's not very frequent but it's annoying.

There's no error codes either.

I'm guessing something related to fuel, maybe not getting pressurized but I can hear the fuel pump priming when I open the door so I don't know.聽馃

Any tips ?

Thanks.

Does it happen when then engine is hot or cold?

Are you pressing the throttle when trying to start? If you are, don't, the PCM does that for you.

How many miles has it done?

Is it due a service?

What fuel are you using?

Only when cold.

No.

42k km

I change the oil every 10k km, changed it recently like a month ago.

I'm using 95 now but when I used 98 it did that too.

I take it you service it yourself then, now that it is out of warranty.

Check/change the spark plugs

Ensure air filter is clean and not damp

clean maf sensor

No I still take it to the dealer to have the service done to not loose the warranty (7 years) car has 4 years.

I do intermediate oil changes.

Are you trying to start the car as soon as you get in?聽 The immobiliser can get 'confused' if you try to start too quickly.聽

As it starts on the second try and happens once a year I don't think it's worth investing much time & money into.

No I get in put the phone and wallet on the tray and then clutch in and press the start button.

You're right, but I would like to know what could it be.

I don't even waste time taking it to the dealer as I'm sure it won't happen when it's there and there's no codes.

18 hours ago, TricaOpr said:

No I get in put the phone and wallet on the tray and then clutch in and press the start button.

You're right, but I would like to know what could it be.

I don't even waste time taking it to the dealer as I'm sure it won't happen when it's there and there's no codes.

It doesn't really need to happen. If it's a known issue and a software update and/or a certain part replacement cures it they will do it for you.

You probably need an update

I mean I don't think it's a known issue since I've searched everywhere and don't see anyone else with the same issue.

But the car was at service last year surely they would update it if there was one, I hope.

It happens like once or twice per year.

It usually happens inside the garage before going to work, first start of the day.

17 hours ago, TricaOpr said:

But the car was at service last year surely they would update it if there was one, I hope.

Nope, they don't even plug into OBD on service unless you complain of a fault or the engine warning light is on

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club