Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Kuga 2.0 TDCI Excessive Black Smoke

Brammer_2k

Hi All, 

I have a 2014 Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCI (163BHP) with just over 16,000 Miles on it, last year it needed a new DPF as it wouldn't pass emissions for the MOT (Already passed this years MOT), I was told that the DPF had failed and had also melted in the middle so was like a Polo mint 🤷‍♂️.
Fast forward to today (about 3500 miles later) I am starting to see symptoms the car had before it needed a new DPF which is excessive smoke out of exhaust you can see out of back window whilst driving (Usually when you floor it and take it to red line), Lower part of the rear bumper starting to go black and the tips of the exhaust car carboned up to hell.

One thing I noticed today when plugging Laptop in to use forscan to check for codes (there was no codes), the idle around 1000 RPM was very shaky, also another thing I've noticed is when I am slowing down to stop at traffic lights or junctions and the car is out of gear the RPM bounces a few times to idle then 1100 ish then settles down again.

When it had a new DPF it also had a new pressure sensor and 5th injector (Vaporiser) it said on the sheet.
What I have done to help fix the issue is DPF Cleaner you add in fuel, new fuel filter, Cleaned MAP and MAF sensors and made sure the air filter was clean / new.

Would anyone have any ideas what to look for at fixing this as I don't really want to spend another grand on a DPF for it to fail again a year later, so must be something else contributing to this issue.

Car is being used a lot more and going on longer drives of 30+ miles each weekend.

As mentioned above I have forscan and the OBDlink EX cable so if anything wants pulling off let me know 🙂
I have attached a screen shot of what I thought might be useful below (Car had been sat off for about 45 mins as laptop needed charging) 

image.thumb.png.0e641a19febd2e0f926973648149cbf3.png

Thanks.

Does the Differential Pressure across the DPF (DP_DPF) always stay at 0 ?, even when you are driving or revving the engine. If so then that is not right, there must be some resistance. That doesn't explain the black smoke though.

There should be a procedure in FORScan to reset the DPF Differential Pressure Sensor Learned Values. I would try that first before doing anything else.

• Like 1

Hi tizer, 

When I had it ticking over a slight rev up to about 1500 made it go to 1kpa. 

Ill give it a reset later and see if that does anything?  Would. It be better to disconnect the pipes then reset the sensor or. Leave pressure pipes connected and reset it? 

Engine seems to Run fine with OK mpg (around 35 mpg atm). 

I'm. Leaning to think it could be egr, 5th injector. Or dpf pressure sensor? I would be interested if someone else had this issue before and got down to what the issue was. 

I've got a 5l jug of dpf cleaner from gsf car parts to use on my focus 1.5tdci later in summer as a preventative measure, so might use this on the kuga to see if that helps? 

Thanks

Given the differential pressure sensor a reset and on a cold engine it hits 3.0 kpa when rpm held around 2500.

Where does this sensor live in the engine bay? I thought it was on side of battery but nothing is there. 

From what you say I don't think there is anything wrong with your DPF or Pressure Sensor. If you follow the Tubes from either side of the DPF they will lead you to the Sensor.

To be meaningful, Live Data monitoring is best done while driving, not very convenient with the Laptop version of FORScan.

Your fuel consumption is bad, I get 43 mpg with my 1.5 petrol car and I think your smoke issue is more likely to be a fuelling issue or maybe the car is regenerating all the time, either that or you only do short journeys.

If you bring up any Exhaust/DPF/Cat temperatures in FORScan and take the car for a run then you should see if it is constantly regenerating. Normal temperatures should be 2-300 C, and when Regenerating 500 C plus.

It is strange that your old DPF had a hole in it, usually they get clogged up and kind of melt, maybe the last owner made a hole in it to overcome a problem. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club