Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT pass!

Oriskany
聽Share

Today my 2006 Ka passed its MOT needing only a replacement rear spring. I expected the usual Ford rust and corroded brake pipes etc but no advisories. Not really a topic I admit but I was pleased.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oriskany said:

I expected the usual Ford rust and corroded brake pipes etc

never mind, better luck next year 馃ぃ

• Haha 2

On the subject of rust. In my opinion if a car has any rust underneath (sills etc) or corrosion on brake pipes then it鈥檚 best to treat it to delay it getting to mot failure condition. 聽 聽 For example , brake pipes have a paint or plastic type coating on them. 聽Under that is a metal coating, not sure exactly what , maybe zinc. 聽Under that is steel. 聽So if you see white/ grey blistering on brake pipes, don鈥檛 leave it. It gets worse and then gets through to the steel and rusts. Clean them up with emery paper or similar and give them three coats of hammerite. 聽 They might then last as long as the car. 聽 If there is already bad rust on them then I don鈥檛 suggest you do this, as that鈥檚 just trying to hide a potential safety issue. 聽Everyone who is fit and able should be getting under their car and doing a check like this every year. 聽Of course if you only have newer cars and change when they are 3 or 4 years old it might not be worth it. But if you own the same car for years it is.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 11:11 AM, isetta said:

On the subject of rust. In my opinion if a car has any rust underneath (sills etc) or corrosion on brake pipes then it鈥檚 best to treat it to delay it getting to mot failure condition. 聽 聽 For example , brake pipes have a paint or plastic type coating on them. 聽Under that is a metal coating, not sure exactly what , maybe zinc. 聽Under that is steel. 聽So if you see white/ grey blistering on brake pipes, don鈥檛 leave it. It gets worse and then gets through to the steel and rusts. Clean them up with emery paper or similar and give them three coats of hammerite. 聽 They might then last as long as the car. 聽 If there is already bad rust on them then I don鈥檛 suggest you do this, as that鈥檚 just trying to hide a potential safety issue. 聽Everyone who is fit and able should be getting under their car and doing a check like this every year. 聽Of course if you only have newer cars and change when they are 3 or 4 years old it might not be worth it. But if you own the same car for years it is.

I agree - no car lasts for ever and I've owned dozens of older, cheap cars, but at least rubbing down and painting over rust can make them last longer. Some cars cannot be preserved at all such as an Alfasud which I owned in 1986 - it was exciting to drive but literally fell to pieces. The bonnet opened forwards Jaguar-style. I opened it one day and it kept on going, removing the front panel and light in a rusty mess clattering to the floor - they don't make 'em like they used to.

19 minutes ago, Oriskany said:

Alfasud which I owned in 1986 - it was exciting to drive but literally fell to pieces. The bonnet opened forwards Jaguar-style. I opened it one day and it kept on going, removing the front panel and light in a rusty mess clattering to the floor - they don't make 'em like they used to.

That's probably why the Italians don't make Tanks and Armored cars 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, unofix said:

That's probably why the Italians don't make Tanks and Armored cars 馃ぃ

They do actually - the Ariete main battle tank is pretty similar in capability and armament to the German Leopard, US Abrams, UK Challenger, etc.

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

the Ariete main battle tank is pretty similar in capability and armament

I'd forgotten about that, is that the one with Ferrari Engine and the warning not to get it wet ? 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

I'd forgotten about that, is that the one with Ferrari Engine and the warning not to get it wet ? 馃ぃ

Lol, 25.8 litre Iveco V12 turbo-diesel of around 1300hp, I believe, but don't know about its wet weather capabilities!馃榾

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

25.8 litre Iveco V12 turbo-diesel of around 1300hp

Have they not seen the price of Diesel ????? You couldn't afford to go in to battle unless it was just at the end of the street !

17 minutes ago, unofix said:

Have they not seen the price of Diesel ?????聽

NATO standard fuel - dunno what will happen if they have to go EV - instal chargers on every potential battlefield?馃榾

8 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

NATO standard fuel - dunno what will happen if they have to go EV - instal chargers on every potential battlefield?馃榾

Forward thinking, portable diesel generators?? 馃ぃ馃ぃ

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Military already have an exclusion from EVs, I expect emergency vehicles from Police, Ambulance etc to get similar exclusions... A lovely demonstration that if you really need a reliable vehicle, it needs a proper engine聽 馃槀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I expect emergency vehicles from Police, Ambulance etc to get similar exclusions..

I think you're probably right, BUT, who is still going to be making new ICE engines for a few hundred emergency vehicles. All motor manufacturers will have ripped out the lines and replaced them with equipment to make the new battery powered toy cars.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, unofix said:

I think you're probably right, BUT, who is still going to be making new ICE engines for a few hundred emergency vehicles. All motor manufacturers will have ripped out the lines and replaced them with equipment to make the new battery powered toy cars.

I'm guessing China will supply the worlds military/emergency needs 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

• Haha 1

Well I'm just waiting for Elon Musk to announce the opening of his band new factory in 2035 making new petrol and diesel engines in India for all the worlds emergency vehicles. That will probably earn him a few quid to add to his little pile聽馃槀

• Like 1

Remember Jeremy Clarkson driving the "Brutus" car on Top Gear? V12 BMW 42 litre aero engine delivering 0.1MPG - at modern prices that'd hurt. I used to own a 3.6 litre Jaguar XJ40 with an MPG display. If you booted it on a freezing morning it went down to 1MPG. The old days....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club