Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cant Stop Alexa From Listening

Houston Fay

Hello everyone, I recently purchased Ford KA and I have been having a problem on this. I have connected the Alexa Echo Dot 4th Gen with it. But the problem is I can't stop it from listening. Does anyone have any idea about how can I able to fix it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Alexa has always been an anathema to me. If you got a letter from the government saying, 'we'd like to install a listening device in your home connected to the internet, and it will have the capability to record every word you say, 24/7...' there'd be riots on the street about loss of liberty, big brother, breach of human rights etc etc.

But, because those nice folk at amazon SELL you the same thing, folk just shrug their shoulders and say sure, let's hook one up now.

I just don't understand young people...

Oh, have you tried saying, "Alexa... f*ck off..." LOL

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Alexa has always been an anathema to me.

A registered blind friend of ours uses it and finds it very helpful in many ways in her circumstances.

But - in principle she hates the thing and finds it very sinister. If they found a cure for her eyesight, she'd chuck it out for sure!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

A registered blind friend of ours uses it and finds it very helpful in many ways in her circumstances.

She uses it to drive the car !!! what will they think of next ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, unofix said:

She uses it to drive the car !!! what will they think of next ?

If only! No, you'll be relieved to know its a home device.😀 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

If only! No, you'll be relieved to know its a home device.😀 

Used to be - but they do them for cars now, which I assume is what the OP has.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/echo-auto-add-alexa-to-your-car/dp/B078YP59TT

Does it not have a Mic. Off button like my home version? Or else a power off switch? Or unpug it?

I've got a home version, but it's answers are unreliable. e.g. Asked it 'when is West Ham's next home game' (which it understood, because that's the question it displayed on the screen, as I've got an Echo Show) but it didn't tell me, just said West Ham's home ground is Upton Park, though they haven't been there for 5 years . And apparently it takes 5 hours to travel 30 miles to Long Melford from Chelmsford. Various other problems too. I only use it as a bluetooth speaker now. 

I bought an Echo Dot {61} and i love it. Spotify and Deezer linked, runs my fan on voice command, also to my big soundbar. Mainly for in bed, relaxation and sleep tunes, also a speaking clock as i wear a Cpap mask, and eye mask for the darkness it affords. I have the app on my phone which i can connect via BT to my cars head unit. To the OP maybe disconnect Alexa from certain devices eg car. Or change her listening word ??????

HTH someone

• Like 3

If you do change her wake name, please remember it, i forgot one morning and thought she was broken 🤣

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, alanfp said:

Used to be - but they do them for cars now, which I assume is what the OP has.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/echo-auto-add-alexa-to-your-car/dp/B078YP59TT

Does it not have a Mic. Off button like my home version? Or else a power off switch? Or unpug it?

Thank you for sharing this article, but here I could not find out that how to stop it from listening.

23 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

change her listening word ??????

No I just want to turn off.

Have you scrolled down to the 6th picture???

Or this text - 

• Echo Auto is also designed to protect your privacy: You can press the Microphone Off button to electronically disconnect the microphones.
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for staying with me for a long time. But I have resolved the issue with the help of this article. I followed some methods from here (Solution no 3 and 4). After following these, the problem got solved. 

Though its an temporary solution, I am not sure if this methods will perform later correctly. anyway thanks again for supporting me. Have a great day.

3 hours ago, Houston Fay said:

But I have resolved the issue with the help of this article. I followed some methods from here (Solution no 3 and 4). After following these, the problem got solved. 

Yes we have been listening as Alexa has been keeping us all up to date with your progress 🤣

• Haha 5

Will clip Alexa's wings later

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club