Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford KA 2010 rattle from gearbox?

Ian Poskitt

Hello

Newly acquired, there is a gentle rattle noticeable when the engine is ticking over, it disappears if you press the clutch. Also noticeable at low speed when setting off, it seems to disappear if you level off the speed and then come back if you slow down by just taking your foot off the accelerator. The sound not noticeable once your going along normal speeds.

Listening with a screwdriver pressed against the underside of the gearbox and the other end against my ear it does sound like it's coming from the gearbox.

Has anyone seen, I mean heard this before?  Has anyone ever made a successful claim using the 'Blue chip' 3 month warranty supplied in the used car trade.?

Best regards

Ian

You can try claiming, but it sounds like either a noisy clutch release bearing or the input shaft bearings are worn on the gearbox.

Check the oil level in the gearbox

• Like 1

Thanks Dave,

I checked the gearbox oil, there was no oil! non came out when I removed the filler and drain plugs. There is evidence of oil around the bottom of the gearbox and lower engine mount, I assumed this was engine oil at first and took little notice. But now I think it is gearbox oil.  Both plugs were secure and not the source of the leak.

I think the input shaft bearing is noisy, the question is, will the noisy bearing soldier on once I give it some oil or might it crumble with disastrous consequences? the car is not expected to do a lot of miles, mostly local around town.

Ian

17 minutes ago, Ian Poskitt said:

Thanks Dave,

I checked the gearbox oil, there was no oil! non came out when I removed the filler and drain plugs. There is evidence of oil around the bottom of the gearbox and lower engine mount, I assumed this was engine oil at first and took little notice. But now I think it is gearbox oil.  Both plugs were secure and not the source of the leak.

I think the input shaft bearing is noisy, the question is, will the noisy bearing soldier on once I give it some oil or might it crumble with disastrous consequences? the car is not expected to do a lot of miles, mostly local around town.

Ian

It will if you keep driving around with no oil.

Sounds like you have a major gearbox oil leak, probably front seal, which should be covered under warranty.

They've sold you the car in that condition so they are liable.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club