Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horn not working MOT next week

Paul-H
聽Share

Hi all

I need a bit of urgent advice with my 2012 KA Mk2

I was doing the pre MOT checks ready for its MOT next week and found the Horn does not work and have been really stumped trying to find out why.

I have checked the Fuse which is Ok, I checked the Horn with a direct feed and it works fine, the relay works in a different position.

The only thing I have found is that when the horn button is pressed the relay Coils are only seeing 3.5 volts, so obviously this is not enough to energise the 12 volt coils.

Anyone got any thoughts as to why there is only 3.5 volts getting to the coil.

On a side note obviously it needs a working horn for the MOT, if I was to fix a nice big red button on the dash near the steering wheel to operate the horn would that satisfy the UK MOT Requirements.

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul-H said:

if I was to fix a nice big red button on the dash near the steering wheel to operate the horn would that satisfy the UK MOT Requirements.

Short answer is 'Yes' and Isetta will be your friend forever 馃憤

I don't have the wiring details for the Ka but I assume it will probably operate in the same way as most other Ford's. The horn push sends the command to the Body Control Module (BMC) and it then sends the signal to the horn relay which then sends the supply to the actual horn.

Just had a thought !!

I think the button will need to be Rainbow coloured so that it's all inclusive horn 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

Yes!! Go for it. 聽Sometimes a proper fix is too difficult / time consuming particularly when a bcm is involved so a work around is sometimes the way to go, particularly if time is of the essence

16 hours ago, unofix said:

I think the button will need to be Rainbow coloured so that it's all inclusive horn 馃ぃ

mmm... like this?? LOL

1224966407_rainbowhorn.jpg.e57a024d752311e0ec9d7d914f15c6dd.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

mmm... like this?? LOL

Just the ticket 馃ぃ馃ぃ

I should have known you would have a photo 馃槀

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club