Do Not Sell My Personal Information

08 C-Max electrical problem

ldavenport90

First time needing to post on here. Trying to figure out if it's something to be concerned about...

A few weeks ago we lost power steering. Put the car in the garage and they replaced the steering rack, and put in a new battery as the car wouldn't start when they were working on it.

There is also a noise coming from the front passenger side (possible bearing). But...

Tday I went to start the car and. Load of lights stayed on the dash board, and the radio didn't come on. After Bout 10 seconds, the radio came on and the lights when out. Drives fine (other than the vum vum vum noise front the front passenger side). I was out at various shops and every time I started the car, about 5 times in total, the same thing happened.

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions A to what it could be?

We have had an ongoing problem with the car refusing to start every now and then. After a few tries, it always goes eventually. (Happens maybe once every 4/5 months so never worried about it. Garage said the battery was completly flat when they replaced it)

45 minutes ago, ldavenport90 said:

Put the car in the garage and they replaced the steering rack, and put in a new battery as the car wouldn't start

It's a pity they hadn't put the battery on first and then they would have probably found the power steering was ok.

Trying to figure out if it's something to be concerned about...

Yes is the quick answer.

When you say that some times it won't start, does the engine turnover and fails, or does it not even turnover?

went to start the car and. Load of lights stayed on the dash board, and the radio didn't come on. After Bout 10 seconds, the radio came on and the lights when out.

That seems like a possible problem with the Body Control Module (BCM).

Does the C-max suffer from the same Malay as the Focus of that age. Cluster solder joints or BCM connector corrosion?

Diagnostic Trouble Codes would exhibit ‘U’ codes .

a slap on the dash above the cluster triggering a reaction could give a clue if a cluster fault.

• Like 1

I read a post some time ago about a bad contact in the ignition switch (key type) and they replaced the electrical part. A possibility ?

When you say that the car is noisy on the passenger side, do you hear it when the car is stopped, or only when driving?

If you only hear it while driving, it is probably related to the transmission (check if the CV joint of the wheel is cracked and the grease has leaked out).

If you hear it stopped, I would look at the service belt. It drives the air conditioning, the alternator and in some cars the steering pump*.

*I now have a 2006 petrol cmax and the steering pump is driven by this belt (I can see the steering fluid reservoir directly when lifting the bonnet), but I had a 2009 diesel cmax (reestyling) and the steering pump was electric (the reservoir was hidden under the right headlight).

If you hear the noise stopped and turning the wheels only, I would bet on a faulty power steering pump.

If the noise is like a high-pitched squeal, similar to a tyre skid from The Fast & The Furious, it may simply be the belt slipping and not turning the alternator at that instant.

But as you say you have electrical problems, maybe the problem is with the alternator. The alternator, being turned by the belt, can make the noise you hear, and explain electrical problems due to a general voltage drop. The way to check the alternator is with a voltmeter. With the engine running, it should read approximately 14.5 volts at the battery terminals at all revolutions. When the alternator fails, the battery usually discharges and dies quickly. It is important to check this, because if you have a bad alternator, the new battery will die as well. If the red battery symbol appears, or takes longer to disappear when starting, it is indicating that the battery is not charging, because the alternator is not doing its job.

Assuming RHD uk, accessory drive ,fan belt is RHS drivers side so unlikely to be the issue. ‘vum vum’ does sound like bearing but check the tyre out in case. Bearings generally get louder turning in one direction,steering, than the other due to loading.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, RL123 said:

Does the C-max suffer from the same Malay as the Focus of that age. Cluster solder joints or BCM connector corrosion?

Diagnostic Trouble Codes would exhibit ‘U’ codes .

a slap on the dash above the cluster triggering a reaction could give a clue if a cluster fault.

I have the same issue with loss of power steering on an 09 ford ka, I have had a fault code U1705 stating body control module, what should I be looking out for/ replacing?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club