Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing the tailgate spoiler

Goldie Hawk

hi, i am trying to replace the high level brake light Led unit, i have got as far as removing all 6 retaining bolts, "breaking the seal of double sided tape, between the rear window and bottom edge of the spoler, now im stuck, apparanlty it should now lift off, but, it dosen't come off that easily. i believe there too be a further 4 trim type studs holding it down, only one visiable is one of the middle studs.  

i dont want to exert to much force on the spoiler, in case i damage it, crack it or something.

anyone actually removed one, any ideas.

cheers

Taken from a post on the Ford Edge FB page 

• Remove internal trim (just clipped in place, so gently pull).
 Remove electrical connections and washer hose.
• Undo 4 bolts on the inside of the tailgate.
• Use a trim tool to separate bottom edge of spoiler from glass
Note: At this point the spoiler is only held on by 4 white clips, but, they are ***** strong so the next bit is a bravery test.
• Grab outer edge of spoiler and using significant force push up to release 2 of the four clips.
• Repeat process on the other side.
• Now the spoiler has been removed clean off the old trim tape and replace with new
• Undo two screws within the spoiler to release the old brake light.
• Offer up the new brake light and replace screws
• Remove protective plastic from the sticky part of the trim tape and replace spoiler clipping it back in to place and ensuring that the trim tape is sticking the spoiler to the glass.
• Replace bolts, connectors, hoses and trim etc
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, DAVEWILL5 said:
Note: At this point the spoiler is only held on by 4 white clips, but, they are ***** strong so the next bit is a bravery test.
• Grab outer edge of spoiler and using significant force push up to release 2 of the four clips.
• Repeat process on the other side.

That's a bit the service manual doesn't tell you about !

• Like 1

Thanks David,

Its the bravery part, I'm struggling with, pushing up on the side you can see the top of the spoiler, probably, where one of the studs are, it starts to "dent" inwards were its being held, so that's where my bravery ends.

Maybe this time of year isn't helping, a bit cold, making it all a bit more "brittle"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club