Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Mk 2 Mondeo bonnet catch not working

strapkass

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here...

My 2004 Mk2 Mondeo key operated bonnet latch ( worst design ever ) won't open. 

Turning the key to the left pops the bonnet but turning it to the right is not moving the latch far enough to the right to clear the bonnet catch.

I did manage to get it open once and cleaned and lubricated the latch mechanism to the point where it looked like it was working fine again. 

I closed the bonnet and it now it  won't open again. It's definitely snagging on the bonnet catch.

Luckily I had removed the grill before closing the bonnet and I can see and access the 2 security bolts ( no heads ) holding what I presume is the barrel  in place.

Before I drill the bolts and start indiscriminately damaging the plastic housing around the barrel in an attempt to access the latch mechanism directly, I 'm hoping other members may have unfortunately experienced the same problem as me and can give me a few additional pointers.

I am hoping that by removing the barrel and attached assembly that it will reveal the latch guide (cross head?) directly, enabling me to open the bonnet with a screwdriver as is not particularly well explained in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48xBpRHmoo

I've attached a pic showing the security bolts that hold the barrel in place. 

I'm pretty certain the shaft attached to my barrel is made of metal and not plastic as in the video but I cannot be absolutely certain from memory.

I have tried all manner of placing both up and down pressure on the key while rotating it to no effect and coaxing the bonnet and key simultaneously as mentioned elsewhere on this forum. 

The latch keeps snagging on the bonnet catch.

I cannot take the car to a mechanic because the battery is flat.

Any suggestions please?

LOCK 2.jpg

You will have a very hard time drilling the bolts, even assuming you can get started in the centre. Have you got cobalt drill bits ?

Before beginning the demolition stage of the lock assembly, I'd get some 3in1 spray oil and give everything a good soaking, the barrel and the latch assembly. Pressing down on the bonnet while turning the key also helps take the pressure off the latch.

You will need to smash the living ####out of the front lock with a screwdriver, it will come out in chunks, after you have removed everything you will see a + shape which you can use a long screwdriver to just rotate. Lots of people just leave it like this and carry a screwdriver in the glovebox. Lets face it how many people go around lifting ford bonnet badges to see if it still has the key slot! Just to steal your air filter or worse screenwash filler cap.

Get your WD40 straw and shove it deep inside the lock and give it a good spraying. At the same time, do the same to your driver's door lock. Repeat annually. Leave it a while to soak then work it on with your key,repeating the anticlock /clockwise action. If the insides haven't broken then this'll do the trick. btw, if the outside temp is very low and/or it's rained recently, heat the lock with a hairdryer. 

On 12/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, strapkass said:

Turning the key to the left pops the bonnet but turning it to the right is not moving the latch far enough to the right to clear the bonnet catch.

I did manage to get it open once and cleaned and lubricated the latch mechanism to the point where it looked like it was working fine again. 

I closed the bonnet and it now it  won't open again. It's definitely snagging on the bonnet catch.

I'll try again..... You've lubed the latch, but you need also to lube the lock where you put the key in. It could be that it's partially seized with age and neglect, preventing it from fully  operating- that close-up pic says it all. And if you try to warm the lock with a hair dryer, push something into the opening to open the lock cover so the warm air gets inside the lock mech. . Let us know how you get on 👍