Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coil Spring Replacement Method

OP123

Hi all

Own a 2004 Mondeo TDCi.

So, my front coil spring has broken, and I'm going to have a go at replacing it (I know they're very dangerous, but I promise I'll be very careful!).

I've been watching videos, reading Haynes manual etc., and it looks like there are several options for removing the strut. My favourite ways so far are either:

1. Take eveything off the knuckle, then take out the strut with knuckle attached; or

2. Remove pinch bolt, knock off knuckle, leave everything else together.

I think I'm leaning towards option 1, as naturally the car is rusty, and reading around it seems the pinch bolt is easy to break. Plus it seems difficult to get the strut back in the knuckle without dropping everything, though could be wrong on that. However, I don't want to be at it all day, and it's entirely possible the other bits will be just as bad.

Does anyone who has done this job have any input as to which would be easier? Or another method altogether?

Yes, it would probably be easier and won't break the bank to take it to a garage, but I'd like the experience, plus the recent MOT picked up 3 springs on their way out, so I'll probably end up doing all 4 anyway.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks 

Pinch bolt can cause issues, but getting awire brush on it and then WD40 a few days before would help. However if everything else is ok the option 1.

I did option 2 on my old ST24 but option 1 on my MK4 (as option 2 didn't work)

Being your first time, it will usually take longer than you first thought, so allow plenty of time to do the job. Call me crazy, but it might well take you all day ! Do it again and it could take half a day 👍

Thanks for the replies!

I suppose I am being very optimistic thinking it won't take all day 😂 thank you for the reality check, I'll make sure I leave plenty of time.

I'm planning it for Saturday, so I'll try and get under it and give everything a thorough clean/WD40 before then.

Hopefully it will be kind to me and just come apart easily!

Hi, don't use 12-sided sockets! Get yourself a set of impact sockets as they're 6-sided - prevents rounding rusted nuts and bolt heads. You'll find them an investment in the long run. Buy a  new pinch bolt too. You've got time to order the proper one from Ford main dealer. For the part numbers look on catcar.info and type in your vin number or ask at your local friendly Ford Parts dept. You'll need to compress the spring and tie it up while compressed, I used Wilko's garden wire, but a lot use para cord, so you could get some on order. A sturdy set of spring compressors is a must!  The spring itself is kinda of banana shaped and doesn't compress evenly, I had to borrow a couple from a neighbour and used 5 in the end. It's very scarey compressing the new spring! If you can, consider taking the strut to a local friendly garage and get them to use their bench spring compressor to change it. Be aware that the wishbone bushes are oil-filled (called hydrobushes) and can rupture if you don't lower the subframe on the side you're working on! (I wince when watching some of those apes on youtube wrenching at the wishbone! - it's not their car!) Hope you've got a Haynes to work to..... when you undo the subframe bolts, support it weight on 1 or 2 jacks DO NOT use the subframe bolts as jacks to lower or raise the subframe else you WILL either strip a bolt or cause the captive nut to wrench free.  Or both. Do lots more asking and reading before embarking on this task. Also look on Talkford.com 

Youll also need a really good quality Allen key for the top of the strut and ensure the spring is fully compressed before attempt to undo the Allen bolt - I snapped a key 'cos the spring wasn't fully compressed 1st time. Also consider buying new top strut mount and bearings you won't know if yours are knackered till youve got it off. 

Make sure that the strut mount top has got the arrows aligned to point front-to-back on refitting. (not across left to right) 

I'll find some helpful  links to threads on the Talkford.com forum... 

https://www.talkford.com/threads/front-struts.410525/#post-3206834

This next one is an account of my own adventure with this task:

https://www.talkford.com/threads/top-bearing-misaligned-after-front-spring-replaced.162503/

This next one is useful .... Read all the links within it too... 

https://www.talkford.com/threads/advice-for-changing-front-springs-mondeo-mk3.197366/

Extra top tip: grease the threads of the spring compressors before you use them. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club