Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Accident/insurance advice

OP123

Hi

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, not sure where else to put it, and it is a Mondeo!

So, the other day, one of my neighbours was pulling off his drive. Not sure exactly what happened because my car was parked and I didn't see it, but somehow he's shot forward, and crashed into my car, pushing it further into the kerb, taking the bumper off and denting the wing. Further examination shows that the wheel is leaning in at the top, and I think the shock is bent - annoying as I've literally just replaced the spring. Plus the airbox is cracked - not the end of the world but again, annoying!

Anyway, pictures attached of the damage. To me, it seems superficial and fixable. However, the car isn't worth much at all, and I think if I went through my insurance they'd write it off, which I don't want as I can't afford a decent new car and the engine itself still seems pretty sound.

What I would like advice on is dealing with the insurance company. I know I need to tell them, but if I don't make a claim, can they say my car is written off anyway on safety grounds? It is it purely my responsibility to make sure it's roadworthy? My plan is to do the small bits (bumper, wing etc) then take it to a garage to have a professional look at it.

Further, what are your thoughts looking at the pictures? Do those of you more experienced think it's repairable?

Thanks!

sketch-1674208480583.thumb.png.0be11744b42dda8cad87efcdb0bcd5ed.pngIMG_20230118_184459931.thumb.jpg.6088cd126691c6647f15a291fdefb3bb.jpgIMG_20230118_183725503.thumb.jpg.a90a89a29ffafe255c6d5088e23c8771.jpgIMG_20230119_140954728_HDR.thumb.jpg.0e6185066b14b92297e831879dea7efe.jpgIMG_20230120_083835682_HDR.thumb.jpg.d329b3f9f4e16a36a0367caecb70ebaf.jpg

• Sad 1

Why do you need to tell them?  Is your neighbour going through his insurance?

If not, I'd just patch it up & forget about it.  No-one will be any the wiser.  As you say, it's an old car, not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

If your neighbour is going through his insurance then you need to tell yours.

If you don't, in the event of you making a claim in future, it could be refused as they will then do a trawl of the database.

Looking at that damage, it's highly likely it will be written off in view of the age & value of the car.

Once your insurance company is informed and they see the damage it will almost certainly be written off with out question.

They will then make you an offer which you should always refuse the first (they expect you to).  Once you have agreed a value, you can ask the insurance company to buy the car back which in most cases they will be happy to do. The buy back price is often around half of the amount they offered.

Don't forget when negotiating the settlement to let them know of any recent work and/or parts that have been fitted (it helps if you can provide receipts).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club