Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MKV LEDS

The Latman

As im not at all confident in dropping the nose to fit these LEDs, I’ve found a local garage who will do them (he happens to have the same bulbs in his own vehicle).  
Once they’re in, is there anything else needed to get them to work, or is it plug n play?

I’ve been dabbling with FORScan so if there’s anything they’re needing in changed there  I’m happy enough to do it. 

Will the car pass an MOT with them?  I can’t see why not as it passed with the halogen bulbs and though mine seemed bright enough at night on unlit roads, I can’t see why these would be dimmer.   

the box has got a CE stamp on it and there are CE labels around the cables as well. 

"CE" just refers to the manufacturing process, not the legality of the headlights themselves. What you're looking for is the E-mark or ECE approval which is applied to the light unit, not the bulb itself. ECE approval is granted based on the headlamp unit being fitted with a specific type of bulb, so technically speaking fitting an LED bulb into a headlamp that had its ECE type approval based on an H11 halogen bulb would invalidate that ECE approval and make the lamp illegal.

As to whether that would pass the MoT: in theory, because the lamp unit doesn't meet its ECE approval it should fail, but that depends on how observant or strict the tester is.

• Like 2

Ahh right, thanks Eric… So how would a strict observant tester check?  I’m just weighing my options before I take the car on Friday.

have the others on this forum who have used this bulb (from Andy recommended on the Mkv FB page!) passed or failed MOTs?

also, I assume then that no further programming would be required to the car to enable the LEDS?

Light colour, intensity or visual inspection of the bulb - although the latter would be difficult to assess in a projector headlight, and the former two might be difficult to definitively chalk up to an LED bulb.

41 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

Light colour, intensity or visual inspection of the bulb - although the latter would be difficult to assess in a projector headlight, and the former two might be difficult to definitively chalk up to an LED bulb.

Gotcha, so it’s a case of pay the garage to do it and obviously retain the H7 bulbs, if it fails have them switched back.  So, 50/50 basically.

I’ve done some digging and see that the MOT law was updated in 2021 (some say part of the joy of Brexit) and can see what you mean.   The garage I use, uses a dedicated MOT station  (owners cousin) to carry out MOT tests, the former then carries out repairs.   Whether I’d get away with swapping the bulbs is a toss up.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club