Do Not Sell My Personal Information

low antifreeze in header tank

cooltruck

hi all, im looking for some advise. over the last few weeks i have noticed the the antifreeze is well below the minimum mark, i have topped the water up and checked again after a few days, again low, i have pressure tested the system and checked for any leaks but unable to find any, system held pressure at 20 psig for 15 minutes, i have now added a shot of dye to the tank  but still unable to find a leak trace, car drives ok and no sign of white smoke, no sign of water in engine on oil  cap ect, i have just had the gearbox oil changed as noticed there is an water cooled oil cooler for the gearbox and thought this might be mixing in the cooler, oil ok in gearbox, struggling now to think of any where thing other to try,

hope someone help, thanks

I'd put some tissue around the cap/bottle to see if it's coming out of the cap.  

Would also suggest a much longer pressure test.  Leave it overnight if possible.

Hi Mark,

I previously asked the same question 29th January, apparently, its a common fault, I was unable to find a source for the loss of antifreeze.  if you find the source, please share

thanks for getting  back to me ill be in touch if i find the answer, i might have to bite the bullet and take it to ford,

Check your oil, make sure it's not getting 'milky' ! The last place you want it is in the oil system.

• 1 month later...

I have same similar problem but today found drivers mats wet and is coolant !!! I take it it’s from the heater matrix ? Only had car two weeks 

39 minutes ago, Dazza72 said:

I have same similar problem but today found drivers mats wet and is coolant !!! I take it it’s from the heater matrix ? Only had car two weeks 

Yes, that'll be the heater matrix.  

If purchased from a trader you should be covered by warranty.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had this issue, I replied in the following thread if you want to take a look 

It was my radiator that was leaking. Had a mechanic do a pressure test and it held for 30 mins without dropping. He suggested rad weld but I just went and replaced it. I don't trust any of those products. Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

I've had same problem with my 2016 Edge , found expansion bottle cap not sealing thus not pressuring system, coolent boiling away . New cap has now solved my problem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club