Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre sensor warning

hiace_drifter

Our mk3 focus is showing a warning that the tyre sensors can't be connected. Is there a way to reset/turn off this warning? Assuming a tyre shop would need to use a scanner to find the dodgy sensor, then remove & refit a tyre (with new sensor) - how much is that likely to cost?

The tyre pressure sensors each contain a "sealed for life" battery. Now depending on the miles the vehicle has covered and a few other bits, the general life expectancy is between 7 and 10 years.

So if you have one failure, it's fair to assume the others won't be long in also failing. The batteries are not intended to be replaced, many have tried and many have failed so new sensors are the only option. As far as I know there are two different types in use so you will need to have one of yours removed to find out the type.

The TPMS warning can't be turned off, and it is an MOT failure if the system is not working. Be cautious of buying cheap replacements from the likes of eBay. Those who have tried to use non-Ford sensors have found either they can't be coded to the car, or they fail within a few months and the job has to be done again.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, unofix said:

The tyre pressure sensors each contain a "sealed for life" battery. Now depending on the miles the vehicle has covered and a few other bits, the general life expectancy is between 7 and 10 years.

So if you have one failure, it's fair to assume the others won't be long in also failing. The batteries are not intended to be replaced, many have tried and many have failed so new sensors are the only option. As far as I know there are two different types in use so you will need to have one of yours removed to find out the type.

The TPMS warning can't be turned off, and it is an MOT failure if the system is not working. Be cautious of buying cheap replacements from the likes of eBay. Those who have tried to use non-Ford sensors have found either they can't be coded to the car, or they fail within a few months and the job has to be done again.

Thank you. I will contact my tyre shop and ask how much they charge per "corner". Looking on Euro car parts they have Schrader and VM branded replacements - should I avoid those too?

You really need to find which system/type is fitted to your car first.

Just contact your local Ford dealers parts department and ask for a price for a replacement sensor. They will probably want your registration and/or your VIN number.

You might be surprised by the price (then again perhaps not) but at least you will have the Ford part number of the sensor that your vehicle uses.

• 3 weeks later...

My local tyre fitter wants £130 per wheel to supply and fit a new tyre sensor. On the ford website each sensor is £30, so that is £100 to remove and refit a tyre. Wowzers.

• Sad 3

24 minutes ago, hiace_drifter said:

My local tyre fitter wants £130 per wheel to supply and fit a new tyre sensor. On the ford website each sensor is £30, so that is £100 to remove and refit a tyre. Wowzers.

I had a sensor supplied and fitted on my 2020 Fiesta by my local Ford dealer for £107. Don't forget they also have to reset the warning and store the new pressures lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiace_drifter said:

Extortionate isn’t it. I’m glad I don’t have them on my MK2. 

If you can buy them for £30 each though I would buy the sensors first and then ask a few tyre fitting places how much they will charge you to fit the set for you. It might work out a lot cheaper than £130 per corner. 

22 hours ago, sparkymatt said:

Don't forget they also have to reset the warning and store the new pressures lol.

I had assumed that would be a quick job!?!?! Maybe it needs a degree in astrophysics!??!

Will it defo fail MOT if the TPMS error is showing? If it won't fail MOT I will just live with it as I check the tyres myself regularly.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, hiace_drifter said:

Will it defo fail MOT if the TPMS error is showing? If it won't fail MOT I will just live with it as I check the tyres myself regularly.

Yes I believe it is an MOT fail now. That's why I did mine. I had left it since last July, but my first MOT is due end of June so thought I'd better get it done.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/blog/drivers-risk-mot-failure-if-tyre-pressure-monitoring-systems-go-unserviced#:~:text=TPMS checks were added to,problem with the TPMS valves.

Yep, MOT fail now.

Tyre pressure monitoring system malfunctioning or obviously not working Major

Are you sure you're looking at the correct sensor online?  If it really is only £30 to buy, you can have any tyre fitter replace it for the cost of a tyre change (around £20), then you can reset it yourself either through the dash or using a cheap tool bought online.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, MOT fail now.

Tyre pressure monitoring system malfunctioning or obviously not working Major

Are you sure you're looking at the correct sensor online?  If it really is only £30 to buy, you can have any tyre fitter replace it for the cost of a tyre change (around £20), then you can reset it yourself either through the dash or using a cheap tool bought online.

Yes it is only £30 + VAT looking at my invoice for when I had mine fitted. Some local fitters won't fit customer supplied parts. I asked Kwik Fit and they said no. Maybe an independent fitter might.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, sparkymatt said:

Yes it is only £30 + VAT looking at my invoice for when I had mine fitted. Some local fitters won't fit customer supplied parts. I asked Kwik Fit and they said no. Maybe an independent fitter might.

Was the £30 + vat just labour? (i.e. not including cost of the sensor).

Just now, hiace_drifter said:

No, that was the cost of the sensor. Total cost including fitting was £107, so around £70 for labour, which I guess is about an hours work to remove tyre,  fit sensor, refit tyre and rebalance, then reset and store new pressures.

Tyre doesn't even need to be rebalanced as long as the sensors are both the same.  Just mark the tyre against the rim before removal so it gets refitted in the same place.

Out of interest, why wasn't yours replaced under warranty?  Tyres are wear & tear items but I thought the sensors would be covered for the first 3 years?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Out of interest, why wasn't yours replaced under warranty?  Tyres are wear & tear items but I thought the sensors would be covered for the first 3 years?

The sensor was damaged after using the tyre repair sealant on a puncture. It failed soon after so wasn't covered under warranty. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sparkymatt said:

The sensor was damaged after using the tyre repair sealant on a puncture. It failed soon after so wasn't covered under warranty. 

Ah I see, that makes sense.  

• 11 months later...
On 5/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, hiace_drifter said:

£10 ON eBay FOR 1 DIRECT FROM FORD 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Wordave said:

£10 ON EBAY FOR 1 DIRECT FROM FORD 

The £30 was for a sensor, your £10 direct from Ford appears to be just for a Rubber Valve.

When you quote a price on eBay it's useful to provide a link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393525335872?epid=2092004755&itmmeta=01HX7CKNBAHXAB2Z277H6D107R&hash=item5b9ff01740:g:3m4AAOSwbmthIk4h

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YOG said:

The £30 was for a sensor, your £10 direct from Ford appears to be just for a Rubber Valve.

When you quote a price on eBay it's useful to provide a link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393525335872?epid=2092004755&itmmeta=01HX7CKNBAHXAB2Z277H6D107R&hash=item5b9ff01740:g:3m4AAOSwbmthIk4h

£10!! 

I've thrown hundreds of those away recently 😭😭😭

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

I've thrown hundreds of those away recently

Well at least a few have found a good home 😉

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club