Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 ecoboost power loss.

Ryso
聽Share

I'm aware this is quite common and has been covered however, I'm wondering if another issue I have could be related ?

The car has suffered with the common issue of a loss of power either going uphill under heavy load or just nailing it when you floor it at higher speeds, this has happened 3 time in the last month. Having looked online I've read that the most common problem is the diaphragm in the little valve that's attached to the vacuum pump can split or desintagrate causing a loss of pressure stopping the turbo from working properly, I bought a new valve and replaced it even though the one I took off seemed fine but the issue has returned. The first time I noticed this was going uphill, as I went to accelerate I could literally feel the power vanish with a very noticeable jolt as it went then I was left having to drop down to 3rd gear just to reach the top. The second time it happened I had come off the power after an overtake and when I got to the same hill same thing thing no power on the hill and left embarrassed as the car I over took was now passing me 馃ぃ. This leads me to my next issue, the clutch pedal.

I've noticed that sometimes the pedal does not fully return after gear changes then slaps the bottom of my foot after a few seconds like it's stuck halfway then releases. With both the occasions above relating to the loss of power I have noticed that on each occasion before the power loss the clutch pedal did not return fully at all and I had to lift it with my foot. Could these 2 issues be related, s in a loss of vacuum or pressure somewhere ? Can a vacuum leak cause an issue with the clutch ?

Sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to get as much information in as possible.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

The clutch is probably slipping when the pedal sticks down, so full engine power isn't reaching the gearbox.

If your clutch is slipping you would notice an increase in RPM at the same time as the apparent loss of power.

If there is no increase in RPM I would still suspect the turbo vacuum system first. Apart from the diaphragm, the pipes do split, the actuation valve could be faulty, or there are other seals (in the turbo assembly) that could be failing.

If you're not in hurry, you could do what I did and buy an inexpensive vacuum testing kit off eBay or the like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The clutch is probably slipping when the pedal sticks down, so full engine power isn't reaching the gearbox.

There is no increase in rpm while this is happening the power just isn't there, having to drop down to 3rd gear to get uphill.聽

On 5/29/2023 at 4:27 PM, RayC333 said:

If your clutch is slipping you would notice an increase in RPM at the same time as the apparent loss of power.

If there is no increase in RPM I would still suspect the turbo vacuum system first. Apart from the diaphragm, the pipes do split, the actuation valve could be faulty, or there are other seals (in the turbo assembly) that could be failing.

If you're not in hurry, you could do what I did and buy an inexpensive vacuum testing kit off eBay or the like.

Was it one of those trigger pump ones or just the gauge with a pipe ?

Thanks

Trigger type. Can also be used for bleeding hydraulic systems.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 7:26 PM, Ryso said:

There is no increase in rpm while this is happening the power just isn't there, having to drop down to 3rd gear to get uphill.聽

Ok, it sounds like that's just a coincidence then.聽 There's no vacuum assistance for the clutch, only for brakes.聽 If you're buying a vac tester as mentioned above, you can also bleed any air of the clutch line. :smile:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RayC333 said:

Trigger type. Can also be used for bleeding hydraulic systems.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Ok, it sounds like that's just a coincidence then.聽 There's no vacuum assistance for the clutch, only for brakes.聽 If you're buying a vac tester as mentioned above, you can also bleed any air of the clutch line. :smile:

Thanks both. Payday tomorrow so I'll be ordering one of those vacuum testers.聽

I had the car up on stands yesterday to have a good look underneath but couldn't find any obvious signs of splitting in any of the main hoses but I did notice a misting of what I assume would be brake fluid behind the brake servo where it's fixed to the bulkhead, didn't look fresh though and also noticed the same around the line going from the reservoir to the vac pump. The fluid is currently about halfway in the res but my rear brake pads are fairly worn and fronts are about 60/70% worn. Discs and pads are my next job on the car so after I've pushed/wound the calipers back I'm expecting the fluid level to rise back up. I'll keep a keen eye on the level from then on to see if I'm loosing any. Appreciate you help guys, thank you聽

• Like 1

Going off on a bit of a tangent there Ryso 馃榾 By all means check out your brakes etc. but of course that won't solve your loss of power problem.

The pipes/tubes you need to concentrate on are the various vacuum pipes to the turbo, vacuum pump, solenoid valve. Three times now I've found splits, each time where they are pushed over a connector.

If there are no obvious splits/damage the vacuum tester will help which part (if any) is not holding a constant vacuum.

On 5/31/2023 at 4:56 PM, RayC333 said:

Going off on a bit of a tangent there Ryso 馃榾 By all means check out your brakes etc. but of course that won't solve your loss of power problem.

The pipes/tubes you need to concentrate on are the various vacuum pipes to the turbo, vacuum pump, solenoid valve. Three times now I've found splits, each time where they are pushed over a connector.

If there are no obvious splits/damage the vacuum tester will help which part (if any) is not holding a constant vacuum.

No need to test for vacuum leaks I've found the problem, turbo is f@#ked. Took the inlet pipe off to inspect the turbine and it has loads of play in it. New/recon turbo required or a new cartridge at the very least. A bit annoying as I only took the car out on finance last year.聽

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Ryso said:

Took the inlet pipe off to inspect the turbine and it has loads of play in it. New/recon turbo required

That's very concerning especially on a 2013 Ecoboost. The Turbo failure is possibly caused by oil starvation as the little oil filter gauze gets clogged up with bits of the wet belts as they begin to disintegrate.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, RayC333 said:

I had a similar (maybe the same) problem on my daughters 2012 1.0 Ecoboost. In addition to the strainers in the oil pump and pressure control valve there is another one in the oil feed passage to the Turbo.

To correctly remove this filter it's necessary to remove the timing belt cover, unscrew a plug in the engine block, pull out the offending filter and replace it.

It can be seen externally (partial view only through the hole) if the turbo oil feed pipe to the block is removed.聽

In our case the filter was blocked completely with a hard black substance that wouldn't shift with brake cleaner.聽

The designer no doubt thought it would never get blocked.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unofix said:

I like to have a go at fixing things myself and I'd quite happily have a go at fixing the turbo and refitting it but removing everything on top of the rocker cover, removing the rocker cover and timing belt cover along with everything else as well beyond my capabilities especially on the drive. I'm expecting this to be a full on timing belt change, new, recon or repaired turbo along with cleaning out the sump and pick up pipe etc. I'm not certain if the belt has been changed tbh but looking at the sump as I was underneath it did look like it had been off at some point as the gasket sealer didn't look like how I would expect it from the factory.

• Like 1

Noting that your car is on finance and the extent of the problems I would recommend you take a look at this Facebook site. No consolation, but you will see many other people who have had similar issues and may help you to decide what to do.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

50 minutes ago, RayC333 said:

Noting that your car is on finance and the extent of the problems I would recommend you take a look at this Facebook site. No consolation, but you will see many other people who have had similar issues and may help you to decide what to do.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

I'll take a look. Thanks

• Like 1