Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help - Cmax Bonnet Wont Open !

mart4856

MY WIFE HAS AN 04 CMAX 1.6TDCI AND I WENT TO TOP UP THE WASHER FLUID AND THE BONNET WOULD NOT OPEN. I TURN THE KEY LEFT AND RIGHT BUT THE BONNET DOES NOT POP UP. I HAVE BEEN ON A NUMBER OF FORUMS BUT THERE IS NO CLEAR ANSWER. SOME SAY ATTACK THE GRILL WITH A HACKSAW TO ACCESS THE LOCK. OTHERS SAW DRILL TWO HOLES BEHIND THE FORD badge TO ACCESS TWO SCREWS WHICH YOU THEN DRILL OUT. A THIRD MENTIONS REMOVING THE PLASTIC TRAY UNDERNEATH THE FRONT OF THE BUMPER AND OPENING THE LOCK WITH A BENT PIECE OF WIRE. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A COMMON FAULT ON ALL FOCUS'S. HAVE YOU HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HOW HAVE YOU SOLVED IT?

CHEERS

MARTIN

• Sad 1

MY WIFE HAS AN 04 CMAX 1.6TDCI AND I WENT TO TOP UP THE WASHER FLUID AND THE BONNET WOULD NOT OPEN. I TURN THE KEY LEFT AND RIGHT BUT THE BONNET DOES NOT POP UP. I HAVE BEEN ON A NUMBER OF FORUMS BUT THERE IS NO CLEAR ANSWER. SOME SAY ATTACK THE GRILL WITH A HACKSAW TO ACCESS THE LOCK. OTHERS SAW DRILL TWO HOLES BEHIND THE FORD BADGE TO ACCESS TWO SCREWS WHICH YOU THEN DRILL OUT. A THIRD MENTIONS REMOVING THE PLASTIC TRAY UNDERNEATH THE FRONT OF THE BUMPER AND OPENING THE LOCK WITH A BENT PIECE OF WIRE. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A COMMON FAULT ON ALL FOCUS'S. HAVE YOU HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HOW HAVE YOU SOLVED IT?

CHEERS

MARTIN

hi,

my cmax does the same, still does. Don't know if this works on yours but i can open mine by applying some upwards pressure on the bonnet as i turn the key to position 1 then 2 and it opens. Its as though its jammed and needs a helping hand, hope this helps.

Richard

• 4 months later...

04 Cmax tdci cvt Ghia

I had the same problem with the bonnet lock. I found posts suggesting smashing the grill to remove the broken lock.

This seemed to be a bit drastic so I had a closer look at my car.

The part that had broken was the bowden cable connecting the key lock to the release mechanism behind the front grill.

I solved the problem by pushing the front of the lock back thru the grill, then removing by pulling it away from underneath the car after taking off the plastic sump guard.

Then using a large screwdriver and hammer, the old plastic part of the lock can be carfully broken away without damaging the grill.

This then reveals a plastic cross which when turned left will release the catch then turning right will open the bonnet.

The expensive option is to buy and fit a new lock.

I made a bar with a cross cut into the end which I leave in the car with a torch in case I need to open the bonnet in the dark.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

mine has just failed after an issue with the temp sensor (-3 outside probe showing a nice balmy 10 degrees) After a bit of research and experimentation discovered the issue is with the cable design. There are 3 parts to the lock. the barrel and cable, the white mid assembly and the lock itself. Between the white bit and the lock is a small cross shaped piece of plastic if this unclips from the mid assembly then the bonnet won't open but you may hear clicking and a feel a slight resistance.

I have literally just been outside to look a little closer and you can see through the grill.

What I did to open it was to get a standard kitchen knife and insert it into the upper gap of the grille above the lock. push the knife into the rubber surrounding the cable and then, while keeping the knife pushed in, turn the key. With a bit of luck the bonnet should pop up. It may be safer to use something other than a knife but I used what I had on hand.

The next bit is a bit harder as you then need to push the knife, turn the key to 2 AND lift the bonnet and with a little luck the bonnet should now be open.

I still have to attempt this next bit, but from here remove the two 10mm bolts that secure the catch and remove the lock (don't forget the electrical connector to the lower right before removing completely) there should be a cross shaped section of plastic sticking out of the lock and I believe that re-connecting this to the cable end not the lock SHOULD fix the issue... no idea how to remove it yet and it may be that you need to replace the plastic cross but I will let you know if my method works when I have some light to try it.

SUCCESS!!!!! I removed the lock mechanism and then unclipped the white section by pushing it towards the engine if you have the cover over the grille removed (4 cross head screws,don't use any pressure and then remove the "washers" and the plastic should pull off) you can reach behind the grill and unclip the lock from the grille. Withdraw the lock assembly from the car and retreat somewhere warm and flat. The hard bit is next, removing the white plastic cross from the lock assembly.

I used a pair of pliers and very carefully pulled on the clip. After a couple of failed attempts it DID pop out of the lock. There are two clips the same as the other end and with a little wiggling it does come out. To reconnect the clip to the white section can take a little luck. The clips on that end are square and not tapered to clip in easy I put one side in and pushed the other side in with a screwdriver.

Once this is done reassemble the lock barrel, cable and white assembly back into the front of the car and then the lock assembly REMEMBER THE CABLE otherwise the alarm might not work replace the 10mm bolts and before closing the bonnet insert the key and turn to 2 with luck the top release arm will be seen to rotate.

if it does, close the bonnet and test and (hopefully) the bonnet lock now works.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This was a big help; after using a fairly large screwdriver and with a little help from my neighbour we were indeed able to get into the engine compartment. I used the screwdriver to remove the 'rubber johnny' Eventually, whilst operating the key in the prescribed manner, the bonnet did in deed pop. We were beaten by the dark and the weather simultaneously so Plan B had to be abandoned and the bonnet is now well and truly shut again. Following that second part of the post should now be possible - once we've done the first bit.

Many thanks for the tips.

Hi John,

I am actually looking to kill this one once and for all and looking to remove the system altogether and go back to a pull internal handle! (that reminds me, I need to make a phone call!)

If your interested in the info then I can send you a link to keep an eye on!

• Like 1

I'm all for that; this system is rubbish. As I saw someine say in another post 'This was one of the best cars I ever had until this happened' (or similar) I agree. If there is an easy DIY mod I will defo be up for it as I do not intend to get rid of this car for some while.

Thanks in anticipation.

Well I keep updating this thread:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/49610-bonnet-upgrade-hopefully-bye-bye-bonnet-release/

When i get further updates, and so Saturday is probably when I will make some progress on it...

• 6 months later...

Well here we go again... thanks to the help from previous posts (and a neighbour) I was able, eventually - to get into the engine compartment. We tried placing the shaft of a screwdriver into the locking mech and it failed to unlock every time. However, to our surprise, once we had some WD40 sprayed on (copiously) it worked. We tried shutting the bonnet (having done the level checks first!) and undoing it again. Perfect.

Annoyed at this system? Yep; me too... this may well put me off buying another Ford if they still use it!

• 8 years later...

I had the same problem and managed to open the bonnet by pushing in hard on the key as I turned it. Once opened I’ve now put WD40 on the mechanism and it works better but still needs a bit of pressure on the key when turning. 

🤔🤔

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, unofix said:

🤔🤔

Don't you just love a 13 year old thread been resurrected? LOL I have no idea the way a OPW mind works 😂

• Like 1

I don't even know how or why they manage to unearth old dead posts. :confused1:

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the same problem, the technique in this short video opened my bonnet almost instantly:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFXUu-vjlM

In case the YouTube video ever disappears, I will describe the technique, which is basically pushing down on the bonnet above the key as you turn key anti-clockwise, then release the pressure on the bonnet and bonnet should pop up about 1-2cm, then pull up on the bonnet, re-insert key and turn clockwise whilst pulling up and it should open.

• Sad 1