Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power tailgate failure

Jon Beer

Today, the power tailgate on my 2 month old Kuga FHEV failed in the open position. Tried to close it by the button, remote and internal switch, but no avail. As it was raining, I had no option to close it manually. All this time the internal alarm was sounding, but showing no fault on the informant screen. I drove straight to my Ford main dealer who agreed to have a quick Look at it. The technician rectified the fault by disconnecting the battery which was not easy as the battery is now in the boot! Has anyone else had the same issue?

Not yet but I do have my concerns over it.  Most of the time my power boot stays open until I close it, but occasionally it closes itself 5-10 seconds after being open, usually while I'm in the boot dealing with the charging cable.  Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and doesn't fill me with confidence that I'm not going to have opening/closing issues down the line...

9 minutes ago, Hooliopaulio said:

Not yet but I do have my concerns over it.  Most of the time my power boot stays open until I close it, but occasionally it closes itself 5-10 seconds after being open, usually while I'm in the boot dealing with the charging cable.  Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and doesn't fill me with confidence that I'm not going to have opening/closing issues down the line...

Is there a proximity sensor under the bumper on these?  If so, you may be inadvertently triggering it with your foot while fiddling in the boot.  I think it's also designed to close if it senses motion, so that may be triggered if the car rolls slightly when you lean into it.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a proximity sensor, I was looking for it for ages when I got it just in case it had one.  While I'm usually in the boot when it does happen, it has closed itself at least once while I was still round the front unplugging the cable from the car.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hooliopaulio said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a proximity sensor,

Most Fords have a float switch in the boot for when the water level becomes critical 🤣

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2023 at 8:07 PM, Jon Beer said:

Today, the power tailgate on my 2 month old Kuga FHEV failed in the open position. Tried to close it by the button, remote and internal switch, but no avail. As it was raining, I had no option to close it manually. All this time the internal alarm was sounding, but showing no fault on the informant screen. I drove straight to my Ford main dealer who agreed to have a quick Look at it. The technician rectified the fault by disconnecting the battery which was not easy as the battery is now in the boot! Has anyone else had the same issue?

how long did it take for them to fix this ? im having the exact same issue now. and where is the battery in the boot ?

On 12/20/2023 at 1:31 PM, Hooliopaulio said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a proximity sensor, I was looking for it for ages when I got it just in case it had one.  While I'm usually in the boot when it does happen, it has closed itself at least once while I was still round the front unplugging the cable from the car.

Quick update on my post regarding my boot closing on me occasionally.  I discovered I do have a proximity sensor to open and close the power boot with my foot.  I just needed to use the correct 'action' to activate it (a kicking motion under the centre of the bumper).  This is what was closing it, I think when the cable went under it then flicked up as I was trying to coil it up and put it in the boot 🙂

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club