Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Non-stop/start battery with stop/start car

Rawrr

Hi all,

My question is, will using a NON-stop/start battery cause issues?
or will it just mean the stop/start won't work and possibly reduce the life of the battery?

Also side question, if it is best to install a stop/start battery, can I just straight switch it out? or do you need to do anything special?
As I read some cars need it programming? Although I don't think this is the case for this KA?

I got this car (65 plate KA) around 3 months ago.

I didn't even realise it had stop/start until last week the check engine light came on (P0106 MAP sensor) & the stop/start & hill holder features were disabled.
Other than the above, the car is running with no issues.

Since that happening and looking into stop/start, I noticed the car has a NON-stop/start battery installed,

Thanks.

The battery charging is different for stop/start models.  So even if you never use the stop/start, a normal battery will get damaged by that type of charging over time.  It can also damage the alternator as well.  Stop start batteries can be bought cheaply enough nowadays so there's not really an excuse not to use them. 

All that said...my own car (VW) had a non-stop/start battery fitted for at least 4 years with no major issues.  I didn't notice until I went to replace it after a long period without use.  The stop start even worked fine for the 3 years I drove it.  I wouldn't recommend anyone does that purposefully though.

The battery monitoring system will need to be reset but I don't think the battery needs coding in on Fiats.  (Mk2 Ka is a Fiat 500 with Ford badges)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I assumed as much, I'll get a new battery installed soon.
It looks like this current battery has been in for a few years at least.

Regarding the battery monitoring system reset, after a quick search it mentioned something to do with flashing the lights and then using the brake pedal, does this sound about right?
Or that you can just leave the battery disconnected for 8hrs and that should also reset it?

Thanks,

I'm afraid I don't know the BMS reset for the Mk2 Ka as it will be a Fiat process rather than the Ford version.

A quick Google suggests they don't have a BMS and should just be left disconnected for half an hour to reset all modules but I'm sceptical about that.  Hopefully someone else knows for sure.  If not, it would be worth checking the Fiat 500 forums.

• Like 1

Here is the alleged battery reset for the Fiat 500 and Ford Ka

fiat 500.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club