Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kuga ST Line x Edition (2019) FHEV Petrol Automatic

kugasjf

Hi There, we've had a Kuga ST line X (FHEV) automatic for just under a year now and during that time we've experienced a very intermittent fault.  It has probably happened only 4 times, once for me and 3 times for the other driver. Probably 99% of the time braking happens exactly as expected however when it does occur it is very concerning. The fault is during braking whereby the brake is applied and works as expected to begin with but then whilst the car is slowing down and the brake is still being applied, the car suddenly surges forward and actively starts to accelerate for maybe a second or less. During this brief moment the brake pedal feels like it looses tension and the car is accelerating on its own - very similar to if you have driver assist set to auto accelerate (think it has always happened when driver assist settings are not in use/turned off). After the brief moment of braking loss the brake engages again and continues to work. The effect of the acceleration is noticeable to all passengers as well. We both drive only using the same foot for braking and accelerating so its not a case of hovering other foot over accelerator pedal. We have the car booked in for an investigation in a few weeks but wondered if anyone had any thoughts or has experienced something similar. As an aside, the car has done 9,000 miles and is also saying it needs an oil change which we believe also doesn't need changing yet (usually done at 2 year service 18,000 miles). Many thanks

8 minutes ago, kugasjf said:

It has probably happened only 4 times, once for me and 4 times for the other driver.

So you're a maths school teacher by profession ? 🤣

You have a very unusual and potentially dangerous fault. Sadly I think the chances of the garage finding the problem are very slight unless they have seen the problem before.

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

So you're a maths school teacher by profession ? 🤣

You have a very unusual and potentially dangerous fault. Sadly I think the chances of the garage finding the problem are very slight unless they have seen the problem before.

Thanks for that typo highlight 🤣. Yep I fear they wont be able to find the fault hence posting on here beforehand to see if anyone's experienced the same. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2023 PHEV and I have noticed the same thing occasionally.  I think I have pinned it down to when its using regen braking (not braking hard enough to engage the pads) and the car hits a sharp bump on the road (pothole etc) while braking.  Its only for a brief fraction of a second, but it was un-nerving the first time it happened.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club