Do Not Sell My Personal Information

R Reg Ford Ka 1.3 Squeal

Darrenj2308

Hi

I have just bought a Ford KA for my daughters first car and it has developed a squeal, I sprayed WD40 on the auxiliary belt and in the general area and the squeal stopped for a time but then came back the next time we started the car.

Looking on different forums I see the auxiliary belt squeal has been discussed at length, so following the advice I took the car to a local garage I always use and have never let me down in the past, they changed the auxiliary belt but the noise continued, they took it back in and replaced the tensioner and another pulley but again the squeal has continued.

They are now saying it could be the alternator or water pump but obviously I don't want to change both of these if it is only one, is there a way of narrowing this down or isolating one of them to see if the squeal is still there.

Any help will be appreciated with this as my daughter doesn't want to drive it with the squeal, I told her to get used to the joys of motoring.

Thanks

you can buy a belt dressing to eliminate the squeel that may help the belt to bed in ?

Hi Delboy

Thanks for that, I have never heard of a belt dressing before, I will scan the internet and see if I can get some.

It could be the auxilliary belt tensioner as its pretty common to fail. If it was the alternator it should be easy to identify. If neither then it could be the water pump. Had ours do the same on our SportKA. It gradually got worse until it was so noisy we had no option but to get it changed.

I have had the belt and belt tensioner replaced and it still makes the noise so I will check again over the weekend to see if it is the water pump, i will let you know how it goes.

• 4 months later...

It could be the auxilliary belt tensioner as its pretty common to fail. If it was the alternator it should be easy to identify. If neither then it could be the water pump. Had ours do the same on our SportKA. It gradually got worse until it was so noisy we had no option but to get it changed.

Hi :)

Can you remember how much it cost to have your water pump on the sport ka changed?

I have had the belt and belt tensioner replaced and it still makes the noise so I will check again over the weekend to see if it is the water pump, i will let you know how it goes.

Hi, was wondering how you got on, was it the tensioner or the water pump?

Hi :)

Can you remember how much it cost to have your water pump on the sport ka changed?

It was a few years ago but cost me around £150.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys seems I was way off with the water pump...Took the KA the a very helpfull guy at Rapidfit who was happy to diagnose the fault. Turns out it was the Alternator was quoated over £400 so we decided to find out the prices of alternators and setteled on the a new Bosch (not the cheapest) got it all done at the local garage for £308

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club