Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fed Up With My Mk3 Mondeo

Maddogpro

Its a goodlooking auto estate 9 year old 86000 miles ghia tdci ..

6 weeks ago rear off side bearing changed then a week later a squeal from the front ive had it up in the air the front wheel has no play the caliper is fine well lubed up and clear the pads have a good 8mm left the disc looks ok no play as in bearing .....WTF is the noise is there a secret thing ive missed just read up that poss that when rear bearing replacement done sometimes the rear pads/caliper are misaligned is it poss that the noise im hearing isnt the front but the rear soemone must be more knowledgable and have and answer ..... :cry:

Please advise or im looking for another GTB Legacy :driving:

I had a squeal on my front off side wheel, after changing pads, discs, and cleaning everything i could, i ended up buying some second hand calipers, when i too the original ones off i found out it was just one of the caliper pins that was sticking, after a bit of grease its been silent ever since.

Thanks steve it a start

whenever I change brake prad's I always put copper grease all over the place, between the brake pad and the caliper around the pin's etc. As I once missed this and got the same sort of squeal due to pad vibration.

MIght be worth if your due a pad change to give that a go!

Thanks jeebo copperslip party tomorrow morning is it the same with the rears

should be if they are all disks, but if they are drums, then probably not, however it may be worth (if they are drums) checking how much you have in the shoes...

should be if they are all disks, but if they are drums, then probably not, however it may be worth (if they are drums) checking how much you have in the shoes...

All the mk3 Mondeos (2000-2007) have discs all round, (calipers and pads) the pistons have to be wound down to get new pads in

the discs are all the same from (1.8L to 3.0L ST220) but there was a (caliper and pad) design change in 2004 so one goes from 2000-2004 the other from 2004 - 2007, since Maddogpro's is 2004 he will need to find out which one he needs (pads)

there are 2 handbrake cables working in unision (on my earlier car, anyway) these get stretched and must be replaced as a pair (there is a shared adjuster, its almost impossible to adjust a new cable on one side with an old, stretched one and still have the handbrake working properly on both back brakes)

Altogether they can be a pain to work on, ive put new pads/ discs on the back, and a new (exchange/ refurb) rear caliper on one side, im going to do the other side because im always fiddiling with them (the handbrake often "sticks")

• 2 weeks later...

Well i bit the bullet bought new discs and pads.....Seeing as the calipers and mounts were off got the dremel and a wire brush attachment cleaned all the crud off extended the piston a little cleaned the 5 mm of crud off the leading edge copper slipped everything reassembled and so far all is good so thanks for the advice my thought now was when the dis was warm metal exapnded and the crusty edge was rubbing on the carrier as there was a clear flat edge ........

how much was the final fix?

£85 for the discs and pads labour was free cos i got my box of trusty spanners and sockets out oh a long bar was a nececity too free off the 15 carrier bolts after a 12 hour doing of plus gas pretty straight forward really always nervous pulling a new marque apart but its good now ....

That is a good result!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club