Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Interior Lights Help....i've Been A Silly Boy

Danwel

Right decided to change the buld today on my focus mk2...easy task you say!! Well wasn't as straight forward as I'd hoped!

Firstly I was told mine would be a festoon bulb but it was in fact a 501 but not a problem as I had some to try and after a bit of faring about I got it changed but then I've got a small problem.

I messed about with the actual switch on the interior light, the copper v shaped contact points and now when its on its great and when it's off its fine but when I put it to the middle setting to come on with doors it is not so good. When the car is in motion the is faint power to the light and is constantly on!!

So I need to fiddle with it a bit to more and see if I an get one but failing that what are my options for replacing the while unit? Are there any others that fit or do indeed to find a focus mk2 one?

Thanks

That one is slightly different to mine. Mine is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/181300470423?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Just wondered if there was an upgrade a such before I buy this one. Just put a bid on this one as I want the surround to hydro dip!

The one I linked will fit that housing too.

You could fit a 3 bulb one also (main bulb and two map light ones) but they don't come up very often.

Ah right, are they the same connectors on the back then as I can't find a pic

Awesome thanks. Are they just plug and play or is it a cut wire and connect up type of job

Direct plug n play.

The lights have a double and single connector on the loom and the light itself pushes power to where it's needed.

post-28494-0-17686000-1389654731_thumb.j post-28494-0-15126500-1389654722_thumb.j th_DSC_0043.jpg

That one I linked will take a festoon middle bulb and should also take two BAX9S bayonet bulbs for the side map lights.

I myself fitted a triple light unit with ambient lighting fitted but this type of light is rarer, dearer and needs an additional wire to make the ambient lights work.

DSC_0191.jpg

That's great mate thanks a lot.

Your one with ambient lighting looks very nice

!Removed! hell they're not cheap but are nice. Will get mine sorted one way or another.

I had a similar problem when i was tinkering with my interior light alls i did was on the switch where you have the two triangular copper contacts i just bent them towards the middle/each other and ever since its been fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Would you believe it all,I did was swap the bulb back and it's all sorted now!! The bulb I'd put in was just to say on but now with standard bulb it's back to normal.

I've ordered some Cree 501's and have a few others to try but for now it can stay as it is

Mate, when you say "When the car is in motion the is faint power to the light and is constantly on!!" do you mean it is constantly fully illuminated or just a very vague, dim glow off it? If this is the case then I'm pretty sure that's just normal and you haven't damaged anything at all, especially when you say reverting back to the standard halogen bulb fixes it.

LEDs require a lot less power than standard bulbs... There is always a small amount of residual current in the circuit, but this is never enough to light the filament of a standard bulb. It is however enough to dimly light an LED. Have you any pics to help illustrate?

Apologies if you're already aware of all this and the problem is that it's staying fully brightly illuminated, not dimly, when driving!

If you still fancy an interior light change, the map light versions can be got around tenner, give or take a couple of quid ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-focus-st170-interior-light-with-maplights-and-alarm-sensors-mondeo-mk3-rs-/221353644443?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3389b4919b ), and you can get the odd steal for a submarine/ambient lighting version if lucky.

I recently linked a full black ST headlining kit (black roof, visors, pillars, rear interior light, vanity lights, and front light with sub lighting etc etc) for about £80 I think it was. Here's one for £50 without the pillar trims...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221347096869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also saw this yesterday which aint bad either... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-ST-3-59-reg-interior-light-black-8M5Y-15K609-AB-alarm-/221353783408?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3389b6b070

Yeah just a faint glow off the led bulb but when I put the standard bulb in I don't get that

Pretty sure that's normal then mate so I don't think you've damaged anything.

Have you got any other interior lights and if so have you bulbs in any of these? Rear roof, glovebox, front footwells...have you checked for the wiring and bulb holders for the footwells? Sometimes if you have a standard bulb in somewhere, it will take that residual current I mentioned away from the LED.

Ah right I see. It's working fine just the led bulb being on and holding a bit of current/light that threw me. I just didn't want it to drain the battery

Shouldn't be any issue with the LED draining the battery, plus, it should go out completely after 15mins or so anyway I think...you may notice if you're ever working at or cleaning the car and have the doors open for a while, the lights will knock off after about 15mins or so as a power-saving mechanism in the event that you left a light on overnight or a door open etc. But the LED as is won't draw enough to effect the battery.

If you have footwell wiring/holders installed, stick a bulb in there and see if that turns out the LED.

Ah right thanks will look into it. As I said my main concern was draining battery when I'm not here and my wife had car.

Got loads of 501 bulbs so will try a few different ones

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club