Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Humming Noise Normal

ScottyT

Hi guys,

Just bought a 62 Fiesta Zetec (1.25) with 10,000 on clock and picked it up yesterday.

Drives nicely, but noticed that once I get over 20-30 I can hear a constant sort of humming sound, which I suspect is more annoying than worrying.

It might even be normal, but just wondered if anyone had any views?

Thanks,

Scott.

Thanks Willy,

I'd already read that thread, and know that this is different as hers was audible when car was stationary, whereas mine is only when going over say 20.

I didn't notice it on the test drive, and first noticed it when I got up to 60-70 when trying it out on the A40. Now I can hear it all the time.

I suppose it could be described a drone as much as humming.

It could even be a noise the tyres are making with the road, or just normal.

It's just that as the car is much quieter than my previous Focus, or my wife's Zafira, I am probably hearing everything!.

I get a lot of tyre noise now after my cars done 10.000 miles so it could just be that. The tyres do get noisy as they wear.

Can you hear it once you get to a certain speed, and does it sound like a drone/hum (not a deep sound, but not too high pitched either)?

I'd say it starts at 30 and gets louder as the speed increases. I put my winter wheels on which have new tyres and it improved the sound.

Thanks Willy, this has helped set my mind at rest a bit, as I don't want to look too stupid by taking back as if there is something wrong.

If anyone else has any further input I would be grateful.

Once I think it may be normal, it will probably stop annoying me .

If the tyres are continentals or Hankook then there probably the originals from when the car was new. That would probably explain the tyre noise. If so it sounds quite normal.

I know your cars only done 10k but could be a wheel bearing on its way. Bit premature but not unheard of.

• Like 1

Thanks Mordey,

I heard this from a google search, and so I might just book it back in for them to check out. I only picked it up from Dagenham Motors yesterday, and it is in warranty unless wheel bearings are not covered?

• 1 year later...

Hey mate how did u get on with ur drone/ hum noise

Hey mate how did u get on with ur drone/ hum noise

I took it in, and at first they changed a wheel bearing, but that didn't solve it, and they were stumped, other than saying it must be just the tyre noise with the road.

To be honest, over the last 18 months, I have just got used to it to the extent that I don't even notice it.

• Like 1

Scotty, I assume, much like my 2010 zetec, that you have no spare wheel fitted in the boot? Try taking out the tray and any contents out of the boot and see if this solves it?

I found this is what causes a loud humming from the rear of mine once up to 40-50mph.

I've tried a few things to dampen the noise but to be honest, and much like yourself, I've gotten used to it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club