Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cleaning Intercooler

Damon Cook

Hi guys quick question im going to unbolt my inter cooler tomorrow and give it a clean as it is clogged full of crap whats a good way of cleaning it though jet wash? Hoover?

any advice will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Wouldn't hoover it mate, what is it full of? oil and soot?

Ive see. On youtube people spraying a cleaner in the inter cooler what is good to use and i Meant hoover on the vents in the intercooler bot the inside

Not tried it yet, but, generally the crud tends mostly to be insects that have committed hari kari in an inconvenient way. There must be some oil and general muck in there, too.

I think the thing to try to avoid is to push the crud further in to the intercooler (unless you've got a way of getting it out?). I suspect that the best plan of attack is to try to soften everything up, with something like warm, soapy, water and then try the Hoover (other vacuums, particularly, water-compatible vacuums, are available) from the front, and see how much comes out. If warm soapy water isn't up to the job, maybe alcohol is better...but, I have another use for that...

If you get too physical with it, you'll probably break the intercooler, and it is hard to see how that would be an advantage. Maybe something soft like a paint brush would brush stuff off, but you would have to be careful not to over-do it, or use anything stiff enough to actually work. The alternative seems to be to 'Kaercher' (other water sprays, etc, etc) it from behind (ooh, err, missus!) but that might be a little difficult, due to access.

If you take it off, you could soak it, and that probably makes the cleaning easier, but then you have to take it off...and put it back.

Its coming off the car dude il prob steam and jet wash it

Yes, if you are prepared to take it off the car, should be easy with the steam.

Cool i cant wait to rip it off guna steam the engine bay aswell

Im a bit of a clean freak to be honest bought an autoglym collection

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club