Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Halfords Extreme Brilliance Bulbs

Foxy1

Hi,

I am a newbie and my first post so excuse me if it's in the wrong place.

I have just bought a 2011 Focus Zetec 1.6 (new shape) and decided to change the headlight bulbs, both dipped and full beam, to Halfords Extreme Brilliance. I fitted them correctly and the bulbs work but the beam does not seem to cast forward very far.

Nice bright white light but only illuminating the first 5 foot of road then total darkness.

The headlamp adjustment is on 0 so at it's maximum setting to cast the beam forward.

Is this just a trait of the bulbs or have I missed something?

Because you say they are fitted correctly and the adjustment is at 0, I would guess that it is a trait of the bulb. This being said, I just had Halford bulbs in my focus before they packed in last week and I was actually impressed with them.

Is this just a trait of the bulbs or have I missed something?

One big (well, medium sized, anyway) problem is variability of bulbs, from example to example. If you look at the reviews on 'Autoexpress', you'll find that variability is probably a more common reason for marking a bulb down than poor pattern or lack of intensity.

So, it could just be variability. Or maybe its not. Difficult to tell from just two samples, but

• Halfords own-brand bulbs are not the very best, but often reasonable; only good value when they are on their 'two for one' offer (which is quite often)
  • I think that Halfords bulbs are made for them by Alite (?)
  • They probably are more variable than the finest
  • My guess, from the reviews, is that the finest are probably either from Osram or Phillips (although both of these make everything from 'boggo' to 'extra performance' bulbs); to get these at reasonable prices, you usually have to look online, but, again the two for one offers can make a difference
  • It is probably not the case that all H'fords bulbs 'aim low'

The headlamp adjustment is on 0 so at it's maximum setting to cast the beam forward.

So, what you have done is to change the control on the dash? Assuming that the bulb is correctly seated (and it is easy to seat the bulb badly, and then all bets are off - you want to check this, without touching the bulb, obviously) what you probably have to do is to change the settings at the headlight itself. It should be possible to bring the pattern in. It is difficult to get this right without the benefit of one of those machines that the MoT guys have, but, provided that you don't get too adventurous, you should be fine. Alternatively, you can go to someone who does MoTs and they'll probably do it reasonably cheaply, provided they aren't too busy....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club