Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Losing Power

Gillsfan

Hello

I'm hoping someone can help, first question which engine do I have in my 04 reg focus lx (probably a stupid question but I'm not 100% sure) the Ford etis site sas it's 1.8L Lynx Diesel TC(115PS) is that the tdci as I think or the tddi?

Now on to the problem, under load I get a flashing glow plug light and lose power. Only happens under load and switching off and back on again clears it. I did the ignition key with the trip button held in trick to get dtc codes up, the only one I got is 9318 which I believe is low battery voltage. But on one of the occasions I turned off and restarted I got a ecu light which I think is the 9813 and a red herring. The car is new to me ( yes I may have bought a turkey) I put some redex and non supermarket diesel in it Xmas eve, it might be my imagination but I think it improved slightly. Current plan is to fit a genuine Ford fuel filter, I've read somewhere that cheap ones cause problems. I also ordered a egr blanking plate which again I've read can cause problems. I'm looking for some help with fault diagnosis without having to spend to much please. I have a blue tooth fault code reader that used on my 53 reg mondeo, but it doesn't seem to connect to the focus. Anyone know of a code read that will work?

Many thanks in advance

Quick update. I took the dog out in the focus and the ecu light has gone out. There was no glow plug light or loss or power, even when I tried to make it happen. I'm not counting my chickens just yet but fingers crossed. The low battery dtc code is still there. I still intend to investigate the code, change the fuel filter and blank of the egr. I would still be interested in any thoughts.

Thank you. I did read that it could be the camshaft sensor. I tried to get it to do it again this morning, it did and i got the fault code back. I'm now planning to change the fuel filter and the cam shaft sensor and see if that works. I'll pop to euro car parts on Monday and get the bits.

Hello

I'm hoping someone can help, first question which engine do I have in my 04 reg focus lx (probably a stupid question but I'm not 100% sure) the Ford etis site sas it's 1.8L Lynx Diesel TC(115PS) is that the tdci as I think or the tddi?

Now on to the problem, under load I get a flashing glow plug light and lose power. Only happens under load and switching off and back on again clears it. I did the ignition key with the trip button held in trick to get dtc codes up, the only one I got is 9318 which I believe is low battery voltage. But on one of the occasions I turned off and restarted I got a ecu light which I think is the 9813 and a red herring. The car is new to me ( yes I may have bought a turkey) I put some redex and non supermarket diesel in it Xmas eve, it might be my imagination but I think it improved slightly. Current plan is to fit a genuine Ford fuel filter, I've read somewhere that cheap ones cause problems. I also ordered a egr blanking plate which again I've read can cause problems. I'm looking for some help with fault diagnosis without having to spend to much please. I have a blue tooth fault code reader that used on my 53 reg mondeo, but it doesn't seem to connect to the focus. Anyone know of a code read that will work?

Many thanks in advance

That's the 1.8 TDCI Lynx Diesel. The TDDI was made until 2002, I believe, and they didn't make a variant in the Ford Focus with 115hp.

Regarding the problem, give it a service, and put a new battery in it. I've just put a Bosch battery in mine. About £70 delivered to the front door.

Blanking the EGR valve will do nothing to help. It doesn't sound like an EGR problem. I've been driving the older, dirtier version of your engine, and the EGR hasn't caused any problems. Use good diesel (I always use BP Ultimate) and it won't even smoke after start up.

Thank you, I'm planning a service and cam sensor change in the next few days. I don't think it's an egr problem either but I know blanking it will improve my mpg so I was planning to do it anyway and you never know. I think the low battery voltage is a red herring, I will get round to checking. I'll put some good diesel in it as well, it a kestrel some finding around these parts but I do know a garage that does it.

Thank you, I'm planning a service and cam sensor change in the next few days. I don't think it's an egr problem either but I know blanking it will improve my mpg so I was planning to do it anyway and you never know. I think the low battery voltage is a red herring, I will get round to checking. I'll put some good diesel in it as well, it a kestrel some finding around these parts but I do know a garage that does it.

My EGR is fully functional and I get 50mpg consistently, and I drive pretty hard. Blanking it will only make your emissions worse.

I take your point, I might ignore it but thank you for taking the time to reply.

Okay how do I clear the dct code? I've plugged in my code reader which picks up the p0251 code and clears it. There isn't a related on the dash. The dash displays a dct 9318 which the code reader doesn't. The alternator is kicking out 14.4 volts and the battery looks newish so I think it's and old code but I'd like to clear it and see if it comes backs.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I tried to do the leak back test, I connected a piece of hose to the injector going to a small pots. I started the car and noted that 1 and 4 seemed to be filling there pots quicker that 2 and 3. But the car stalled after about 30 seconds, it restarted and ran for a few seconds then stalled again and now won't start. I assume this is a fuel issue, so I'll get some easy start later to get it going again. I had all the injectors out earlier in the week to see is a clean and new seals would help (it didn't) it took quite a lot of easy start to draw the fuel though. So 2 questions what did I do wrong, I didn't let it warm up which reading the instructions again I should have done but would that make it stall. Second question is number 1 injector leaked back more fuel than he other 3, number 4 had slightly more but not by much. Is that enough of an indication to change number 1 injector?