Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Noise On Full Lock

JamieSmith

I noticed a knocking sound from suspension/steering when full lock is applied, it does it when turning both left and right. Going to check it out properly soon when I get the chance but was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and knows what it was? I've only had the car for a month, didn't plan on getting the spanners out just yet.

The car is a 2011 Focus Sport.

• Like 1

Does it do it when stationary or when moving? What wheels and tyres are fitted?

Does it do it going forwards? backwards or both?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Only does it when moving, wheels are the standard ones (same ones found on the st2 just smaller) and tyres are the same ones that were fitted to the car in the factory (car only has 14000 miles). Makes noise going both forward and backwards

• Like 1

I can't help (sorry). But I'm interested to hear the outcome of this because my fiancées old Nissan micra used to do this, never did find out why... Might be the same problem..

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

• Like 1

Sounds like it could be a CV joint on the drive shaft I hate to say. My one knocked for ages before it fell to bits. !!

regards

chopper27

• Like 2

CV joints seem fine on inspection, boots are intact and no signs of grease leakage. Car only has 14000 miles so I'm questioning what could have gone with such low mileage.

• Like 1

Managed to get the car up on some ramps earlier and was able to properly look for the noise, turns out that the CV joint was the cause of the noise.

• Like 1

You could maybe try to get Ford to contribute even if it's out of warranty now?

Can understand when CV joints failing if a perished boot isn't spotted and all the grease gets flung out but yours sounds like a faulty part in some way.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same, I luckily still have warranty on the vehicle because I only bought it a month ago so will be taking it back to get the work done before warranty runs out

• Like 2

Can understand when CV joints failing if a perished boot isn't spotted and all the grease gets flung out but yours sounds like a faulty part in some way.

It's always possible a split boot has been replaced and some dirt got into the joint while doing that.

• Like 2

It's always possible a split boot has been replaced and some dirt got into the joint while doing that.

That's true - and hard to spot unless any of the spring clamps were replaced with jubilee clips instead.

Right hand side outer boot has failed on both my ST's after over 30K miles, possibly due to this joint being less protected by splash shields as it's the common one to fail. Don't know if this is the same which failed on the OP's car.

Sounds entirely possible about the contamination of the boot! At least it was the cv rather than something more complicated to fix

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club