Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus 1.6Tdci - Engine Malfunction Errors

RM02

Hi,

New member here, and a worried one at that.

I own a 2010 1.6TDCI Focus, had it from new. 60k miles on it. Always serviced at main Ford dealer.

Today when the OH was driving to work, she lost ower and 'Engine Malfunction' appeared on the dash. We had to get car towed by a local independent mechanic, who later told us that he ran it through the diagnostics and there were approx 15 errors on the engine software. Said all was now updated.

Collected it from him and drove it home myself, after about 15mins driving, it happened again, I had to coast to the side of the road. The car restarted ok, and drove for another 10sec or so, then stopped again. Simply now won't restart, turning over, but not starting.

When the error appears the oil light and battery light come on.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how serious this may be? Should I try to get it to a main Ford dealer asap? Don't know what to do next if the local guy can't fix it.

Any help welcome. Car has been trouble free up to today.

Hey I've got a 2010 tdci as well, with exactly the same issue

After a few days of reading threads on here I realised it was a thing called the dpf diesel partical filter

I did a forced regeneration and it solved the issue

Don't worry if none of that made sense, it took me ages to get my head into it

Have a search of the forum for dpf and forced regeneration and you should be alright

I can describe in better detail if you get a bit lost but there's people on here who have explained it much better than I can

Trac

Thanks for that Tractor, I will have a read about it and pass it on to my mechanic, who has the car tonight.

I know all about DPFs and their issues, I have read plenty on them. My car doesn't do many short journeys, so I always thought I would be ok with regard to the DPF not getting clogged.

No worries RM

I'd never heard of a dpf, it's been quite an education this last week

If you don't too many short journeys then it might not be your dpf but I have learnt that the life expectancy is around 75k, someone correct me if I'm wrong

If your guy reset the codes then re-reads them in the morning then he'll be better placed to diagnose what it is, as opposed to my limited knowledge

Trac

DPF clogging isn't always down to short journeys it's also down to driving style.

Mines on 90k now and the pressure readings from the DPF are almost like new :) and I don't do lots of motorway miles either

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Just got call from mechanic, thinks problem has been identified.

Apparently an EGR valve is the problem, and sending a voltage thats far too high, normally this is only a tiny electrical signal. I know nothing about car mechanics so forgive me if that isn't worded correctly. When the engine is run with the EGR engaged it cuts out, as soon as the EGR is disengaged the engine runs fine.

Does this sound likely?

Yeah sure does... And is good news for you

Erg stands for exhaust gas re circulation, it's a valve

Yours is probably stuck open, it's an easy fix and quite common, again based on what I've read on here in the last few days

Check out lennys guide on fitting a blanking plate, I've done it, it's a good mod to get your mechanic to do

Trac

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club