Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.0 Ecoboost Loss Of Power

dpluxor

Hi all, new to this forum but reading for a while now.

I have a problem brewing with my 2012 1.0 Focus, in that over the last 2 weeks or so, the car is way down on power. This is most noticeable going up hills or accelerating, there is a climb not far from me that the car used to handle in 6th, yeh not accelerating but holding its own to the top. Now I need to drop to 4th to stop the car from losing speed.

On the flat, if I floor it in 4th, I cannot get any faster than about 90mph at 3250 rpm ish. At any speed or revs, 5th and 6th are useless now, you cannot increase speed at all in those gears, in fact in probably losing a couple of mph every few minutes on a motorway.

It's like someone has stolen the turbo over night !! It's only done 15k miles

Has anyone come across this, the car has about 3 months of warranty left.

David

As any one been doing any work on the engine I just ask because if one of your air pipes as been knock off this would be like the turbo is missing

As any one been doing any work on the engine I just ask because if one of your air pipes as been knock off this would be like the turbo is missing

No, I have only had it 8 months, just about to have its 3rd service which by the way the car has not thrown up any messages about oil changes. It was officially due on 18th Feb. Does the Focus give notifications like this or is It purely down to memory and writing things on calendars.

Plus the start/stop hasn't worked in months, since summer really. And that's after a 200 mile drive one week. It never stops the car anymore. Hope I haven't made a mistake buying this thing, just a few gripes at the moment

Stop start is terribly tempermental and has lots of parameters than need to be right to function correctly. Biggest stop start concern is the body control module sees a battery state if cgarge below 70% which will therefore dusable the stopstart as it thinks that the battery is not charged enough to start the car even though it starts fine! Ford dealer can reset this but will possibly charge you. A car on a 2012 will have warranty on it so just report it prior to the end date then you should be fine as it was reported before warranty expires within reason. ford petrol engines do not have service lights, the only real reason diesels have them is to prorect the dpf filters

Wouldn't be a sticky handbrake would it ? Maybe brakes jammed on.

Wouldn't be a sticky handbrake would it ? Maybe brakes jammed on.

No, not brake related, I am certain of that. It just seems as thought there is no turbo anymore, I noticed today that the usual hill I come up in sixth, I can normally feel the 'over boost' cutting out just near the top, you can usually instantly feel the loss in extra power (almost like someone has changed down a gear and lost a few revs). Today I had to come up in 3rd, even 4th was losing speed, it's not a steep hill.

Also I am getting better than ever fuel consumption now, and that is with driving the same way as always round town etc. I used to get 37mpg each week, 7.3 RAFE. Now, doing my same route I am already on 42mpg, 6.6 RAFE.

Completely confused, going in on Weds so we will see

ide have it looked at it could be the ti vct system playing up

ide have it looked at it could be the ti vct system playing up

Well I have no idea at moment, no DTC codes stored, no odd lights on dash to warn of any faults etc.

Could be a turbo air hose has split or has come loose, resulting in the turbo not creating sufficient pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Why so reluctant to take to dealer if under warranty? the early 1.0 suffered with throttle bodys on 125ps.

It's not that I am relectant, for the first week of this happening I thought I was imagining it, until the misses said the infamous "there's something wrong with this car". Been away last week so it's booked in Weds. Other problem is my dealers are 22 miles and 26 miles away !!. There is a small indie garage locally who must have some kind of franchise running as its all badged up Ford and Nissan, and they sell new cars but they don't do warranty work in the workshop.

Interesting about the throttle body, would it result in symptoms like this if it were to be that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Dave1987 gets the cigar. :)

Just had a call from Stoneacre, cracked turbo air hose so getting replaced.

So glad they found it, with no DTC codes I was beginning to think I was imagining it all.

As for my start/stop that hasn't 'stopped' since last August, they are blaming battery charge over the winter months, everything else checks out.

I guess Ford should re-advertise it as "Summer Start/Stop Technology"

Thanks for all your comments.

• Like 1

Ouch I'm sure the turbo pipes aren't that easy to get to its not uncommon when you e driven the car let it idle for 30 secs to cool down before switching it off

• 1 year later...

So was this fault entirely down to a boost hose, my car 1.0 fiesta 140ps would get to 130 on the clock no bother now I struggle to get past 110 but turbo hoses all look fine? 

• 10 months later...

February 2017

2012 1.0 fiesta ecoboost loss of power.

My 2012 1.0 fiesta ecoboost had a serious loss of power which was more noticeable in 5th gear at 50mph. I had extended warrantee on the car so took it into Fords Uxbridge. They could not fail it, so I filmed my car at 50mph in 5th gear with my foot flat down on the accelerator. 1 minute later the car still had not reached 70mph. I showed them the video footage and booked the car in again for 2 weeks time. 2 days later the brakes failed, but only the once, so I booked it into fords sooner. I thought to myself this defect is never going to be found, but then on my way home from work sitting in traffic, doing 10mph the brakes failed again. I worked out that when I pressed the brake pedal 4 times in quick succession the pedal gets hard as if the servo had gone. Now that I can emulate the fault every time I told Ford what’s happening. They had the car for several days and then called to say the brakes had been fixed, I asked what about the loss of power, and again they said they could not fail it. When I collected the car Ford had fitted a new vacuum pump for the brakes, I didn’t even know vacuum pumps were on petrol cars, I thought they were only on diesels, but there you go. As soon as I drove the car I could tell that the brakes were like new, and more to the point, the power was back, in fact I had forgotten just how powerful the little engine was. So this vacuum pump that has several sensors coming off it has something to do with the power of the engine. To test your car, with the engine running and stationary, press the brake pedal 5 times in quick succession, if it goes hard then your vacuum pump is at fault, mine had only done 40,000 miles. I hope this helps some people.

Edited by aandy
update
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have this same issue but I am still getting the turbo noise when coming off the gas. Could this still be a cracked air pipe to turbo

• 3 months later...

I have been suffering with the same problem on my 2012 reg 1.0l ecoboost. It’s just won’t pull up hills and I have to change down to 4th or even 3rd gear now on hills that used to be fine in 6th gear. I have just had my turbo replaced by a local garage as well as my head gasket and cylinder head following problems caused by the hose splitting and the engine overheating (all prior to the recall). Does anyone have any idea as the garage are stumped!!

• 2 months later...

After reading more into this someone had a similar issue and was a/the vacuum pump. Not managed to get mine looked at yet trying to find out the cost of replacing.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/110280-focus-mk3-estate-ecoboost-10-125-lack-of-power/

• 5 months later...

My turbo has gone on my 2015 focus eco boost waiting for it to be repaired can I still drive without causing further damage 

• 1 month later...

B-Max 1.0 Ecoboost 125hp here and got the same problem but for only like 2-3 days each month, mostly when the weather is hot and humid (and I'm far away from a garage or they are closed :D ). Did the brake pedal test and there's no change in the pedal so my vacuum pump seems good. Just got an elm obd2 scanner and waiting for it to fail again to check the fault codes.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I've got a focus 1.0 ecoboost and have had the same problem. Local garage have found the issue to be a tiny diaphragm attached to the vacuum pump/vacuum line. The diaphragm helps to control the vacuum going to the control system for the turbo and breaks (If I remember correctly). The temporary fix we've been using is replacing the diaphragm with a tiny bit of glove  but this is only temporary unfortunately. Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

i am having same problem, the car was fine but engine light came on so i brought it to get checked they said it was oxygen sensor i got that fixed then when i was driving home the car started to loose power now they are saying its the vaccum pump for the turbo charger,

• Sad 1

Hello 'Luke-d' please complete your new member details and then we can try and help you.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2012 Ford Focus ecoboost (50k miles) that has had this problem for the last few weeks. 2 garages have had a look, one said it was the sensor and just cleaned it, no help at all! Another garage replaced the vacuum pump valve for £9 convinced that would fix it but as soon as I took it on the motorway this morning power went again...really reluctant to take it to Ford garage as they will charge £100 just to look at it. Really don't know what to do.

Did this problem occur before or after you had the wet timing belt changed ?