Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dab Cutting Out.... A Lot!

charlierwalker

Hi guys.

I have a mark 3 focus with the built in DAB stereo system.

Now, as I'm driving along the stereo will cut between the radio channels and "Seeking Channel".

It can't hold its connection to the channel, even radio one isn't reliable.

Now, I'm new to DAB and I guess I want to know whether this is traditional of DAB our my area (Leeds/Bradford) our whether my cars got a fault?

Thanks for all help.

D.A.B. coverage isn't that good in the U.K. - worse in a moving car.

DAB in urban areas, motorways and Trunk Roads should be fine - hit the Peak District, though and it's not so good... nor likely the Yorks Moors and Dales.

However, it may be the mux you are tuned to (BBC National and Digital 1 use the same frequency everywhere in the UK. Local DAB services do not.)

Car radios generally have good aerials and the BBC DAB network is designed for indoor reception and vehicular reception should be better in most instances. Enabling the auto-handover from DAB to FM may help should you venture outside the coverage of one but still be in the coverage of the other.

{Travelling from Scotch Corner to Penrith my Galaxy DAB was bouncing from DAB to FM and back, but I only had a few spots where neither was available - I was tuned to BBC Radio 2 most likely.}

It's possible the radio antenna (aerial) has a fault or (as they are amplified) has lost power, or is partly unplugged if someone has had the radio out for any reason?

Official coverage maps - check out your area

http://maps.ofcom.org.uk/dab/

Focus mk3 dab isnt very good, mine comes and goes regular, ive started to look into it, just been up m5/m6 130mls each way and just gave up and reverted to fm after an hour.

What station were you listening to on DAB? I've not been along your described route - but if it was a BBC Network (NOT Local) or Digital 1 service then I'm confident it should have been reliable.

2013 model Focus? Still in warranty? I'd consider reporting it as a fault if I were you.

Warranty is 3 years afaik.

Local DAB and FM coverages will be different (sometimes very different)... e.g. lower (FM) frequencies travel further cf the DAB. Transmitter sites are not always the same for each, and you may well be on the borders of the intended DAB coverage. Economics mean the commercial (local) muxes may not be able to afford the needed DAB transmitters to provide equivalent coverage.

In conclusion, what you get might just be normal for the locations/areas you drive in. [Checking with the Local station concerned might confirm that?]

BBC DAB coverage is still improving with extra transmitter locations being added. Digital 1 is not always co-sited so may well be poorer coverage than the BBC - again it's a commercial decision for the multiplex operators/owners.

How long is a Ford Warranty?

Standard warranty is 3yrs, however I have opted for the ford extended warranty on my new car for 5yrs, this can be sold with the car at a later if I chose to sell it on

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Standard warranty is 3yrs, however I have opted for the ford extended warranty on my new car for 5yrs, this can be sold with the car at a later if I chose to sell it on

Yes - but the extra years' warranty doesn't cover as much as you might think it should... as I found out with my last Galaxy. It covered a faulty alarm sensor but not the engine oil seal (costing a few quid but needing new timing and drive belts) nor the faulty rear compartment aircon pipe. Complaining to Ford HQ did get me a small price reduction and a free service but...

I travel from Halifax to Leeds every day and on the M621 around elland road radio 2 drops every few seconds sounds like it's missing a second or two or rewinding a second or two very annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

when you think its rewinding, it changing from dab to fm and back again, bit of a transmission delay , you can see it change on the display, only noticed it last week.

Mine changes from Dab national to block 5 or block12 etc then back again

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club