Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real World Mpg

stephen2529

Hi all

had my focus mk3 2.0l tdci for a few weeks now and in all I'm pleased with it. Wanted to know what people's average mpg is like. I'm doing a mixture of town and motorway driving. Probably about 30 miles a day in the week. I'm getting 42 mpg which seems a bit low due to my style of driving. Id of hoped for the advertised 45 min really. I know never to believe what's advertised but due to the motorway miles I do I thought it might bring it up to this level?

ive noticed that the instant mpg display sits in the 20s when ever fevering the peddle. You have to be so light on it to get the mag up to the 40s. Is this normal.?

In my Focus CC 2.0 TDCI 136 with my commute of mixed A and B roads of 60 miles/day I am getting 50mpg on average. If I travel distance on motorways than it goes up to 53-54 but I never managed to exceed this. If I just do town driving then 40mpg is the norm for my car. Heck, when I took it to race track it failed to return less than 40mpg (I guess it speaks a lot of my driving skills - or a lack of it :D)

every single person you speak to will have different figures, depends on road condition, elevation changes, temperature, traffic, tyres, weight in the car, wind, fuel used and that's before you get to the driving differences.

You'll never be able to directly compare to someone else. I can squeeze out an average of 60mpg, or I can tank it to 45. once up to temps (about 7 miles) on a flat motorway I can average at over 70mpg. youll get more mpg on A roads then motorways an city driving will decimate it, esp if your starting cold.

30 miles a day is single trip of 15, half of that you'll not get anywhere near optimum so in effect your only driving the last half of each journey at an optimum level, if that happens to be the city driving then you'll always be low overall, the question is, is that exact trip any better in another car? if you changed your car just recently then you could see if your doing better but I wouldn't pay too much attention to folk on here because they may be driving the same split between motorway an city but over a longer distance, which would pull their figures right up an make you "feel" like somethings not right, when its probably perfectly normal.

Hi

you're probably right. My last car was a civic type s (2.0l petrol) and I got an average of 32mpg. Quoted was about 36 I think so what you say dose make sense. I'm not complaining at all. I'm up 10mpg over the last car and tax is half as much so I'm winning really. I'm more curious to see how these cars perform and if mine is in decent working order. Obviously not knowing how the previous owner drove it I don't know if what I'm getting seems about right. Wanted to give the egr a good clean this weekend but that looks a lot harder with my model than others so may give it a miss lol.

Might be a silly question but... I picked up some wynns dpf cleaner today but how do your add it to the fuel? You can't just poor it in because of the nozel. Lost half a bottle just trying lol.

you need to use the wee funnel adaptor

Doh! didn't see any of these. I'm assuming they must be for sale somewhere. Oh well try again tomorrow lol

Have you looked under spare wheel for the funnel?

Lol theres one in my boot? Oh dear I'm such a rookie. Slightly embarrassed now lol.

Well there might be, sometimes they were left in glove box and somtimes under spare, unless its been lost or thrown

I'll have a look in the morning. That would make things easier. Although half the bottle is now on the floor and by hands lol.

Well nothing in my boot. I'll have to get one online unless Halfords sell them maybe.

• 11 months later...

Hi all 

Just stumbled upon  this post while browsing and thought I'd give a quick update. It's been nearly a year since I got the car and I'm pleased to say I've made some improvements regarding mpg. Changing my driving habits along side good servicing and maintenance im now averaging 54mpg on my trips to work. Much better than what I was originally getting. The only thing I haven't done is clean the egr valve as this seems to be pretty difficult to reach. I do still have a can of egr3 spray in the boot but I'm apprehensive to use it due to mixed reviews. Anyone have any thoughts? 

Did you find your funnel? When I bought our latest Focus I complained because it didn't have one. The dealer nicked one from another car (like they do). A week later I found one right at the back of the glovebox, Doh! :blush:

Typical lol. No I had to get one from eBay. I'm guessing the previous owner lost or kept the one that came with the car. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club