Sign in to follow this  
djsubtronic

Whining/buzzing Noise, Weird Burning Smell When Using Steering Wheel For Parallel Parking... Low Fluid?

Hey guys

Last couple of days I noticed a kind of weird burning smell coming from my car whenever I parallel parked, or otherwise used extreme ends of the steering at a slow speed. Today however the smell wasn't the only thing, but I started hearing a whining/buzzing sound. I was in the middle of parking, and by the time I finished the whine even persisted afterwards (although less). It was pretty dark so I couldn't check the power steering fluid level, but am I correct in assuming that this is likely to be the result of low power steering fluid level, or could it be something worse?

Thanks.

yeah first thing would be to check the power steering fluid, and also checking for any leaks under the car.

if the noise changes when held on full lock then its probably steering/aux belt related

Well I topped it up on Sunday, it's empty again today. Took it to a garage for inspection, they found that the front of the pump is actually spraying the fluid out, and more so when steering is under load.

They've quoted me for a new union and two belts as well, as the existing belts have been sprayed on a lot. Quoting me just under 400 for this, and if that doesn't fix it then a whole new pump would bring the total up to around 600.

From anyone with experience in this matter, does this sound like a fair quote? Do the belts really need replacing just because some fluid got on them (i.e. can't they just be cleaned instead?)

Additionally, is it still okay to drive the car provided I keep the fluid topped up? As I need to make an important airport run on Friday...