Sign in to follow this  
sonic113

09 Zetec 1.6 Injector Question

Ok fellas just a question here on injectors. Recently I have suffered a bit of loss of power in the car over the last few months and I have been trying to source the issue. I tested plugs, leads and coil and I think all seems to be fine. I also set the plug gap to 1.0mm which is smoother but made no major difference. The air filter was renewed and I can not see any air leaks ect in any pipes. Fuel pump is working good and seems to be 100%. Symptoms are car idles ok but in 1st and 2nd gear it has no power, 3rd gear the power comes in. also up steep hills i have to drop a gear where as before i did not and the same when overtaking as well.

I have thought of 2 other things it might be

- Injectors

was thinking maybe dirty or have a weak spray ect

- Vacuum hose on fuel tank clogged.

* I dont know much about this one but here it is any ways lol!*

I read about a vacuum/ventilation hose on the fuel tank that if clogged reduces the amount of fuel going to the engine. a symptom of this was a hiss when the fuel cap is open which I do get when i open mine but i personally thought this was normal??

so I though I try the injectors to see if it helps. I have a few questions:

1) if injectors are dirty will they throw a code?

2) can acceleration/ overtaking power be reduced with a dirty injector?

3) what's the best way to clean these or maintain them?

I have used redex and cataclean at different times lst year and was thinking maybe they moved some dirt about or something that maybe has clogged an injector up. Also when car is idling i can here a type of clicking coming from the injectors . its not a tapping like engine noise though its differently coming from the injector area.

any Advice or information would be welcomed here. As I say car is starting and driving 100% only for a slight decrease in power and its a bit annoying so just trying to see if I can narrow it down a bit.

How old are the spark plugs ?

Hey mark the spark plugs where brand new genuine ford ones I got from local ford parts department back in march of this year when i serviced the car. they have only done about aprx 4000 odd mile.

Unlikely to be the problem then - it's often a process of elimination - starting with the cheapest & easiest first

Yeah its very strange though because if I put the accelerator full to the floor the car has no power (Flat spot) and both engine revs and speed take a while to pick up but if I feather the accelerator gently and hold it about 1/4 way down its likes a different car and has all the power and you can feel it pulling way better.

I was thinking maybe because at the 1/4 position the air fuel is getting burnt up better where when I put accelerator fully down I asking for more air input and maybe there is not enough fuel mixture to burn it up. so that's why i get the flat spot and it takes a while to build up the speed this is why i was thinking maybe dirty injectors or the vacuum/ventilation hose issue as if the injector was not spraying enough fuel at the time when needed the mixture would be low, likewise if the fuel was getting restricted coming from the tank due to the hose issue I read about.

I guess I will maybe try some injector cleaner first and see how that goes.

can you recommend any good injector cleaner or os redex the best one to use?

recently used a bottle of wynns gold formula to good effect on my 1.6 petrol.

it removed the slight throttle hesitation at low revs that came with the car , picks up nicely now.

£15 at halfrauds or around £12 on fleabay.

recently used a bottle of wynns gold formula to good effect on my 1.6 petrol.

it removed the slight throttle hesitation at low revs that came with the car , picks up nicely now.

£15 at halfrauds or around £12 on fleabay.

Thanks Pete I will maybe pick a bottle up and try it out next time I'm near local Halfords.

UPDATE.

Ok I picked up some of the wynnes injector cleaner from halfrauds the standard 5.99 bottle as they didn't have any of the formula gold one in stock.

Car drove a little funny for a few miles then got better. Today I noticed a big difference as its driving so smooth and have more low down power restored. I think this stuff as helped a lot but what's the difference between it and the formula gold version ?

I think I will use this every 6000 mile or so just to keep all fuel system in top form.

I would change the fuel filter, seams to me more like a restriction in the supply of fuel rather than a lack of spark/coil breakdown. I would get an elm code reader as this is a very useful diagnostic tool

Fuel filter is a lifetime lasting / non replaceable part on the 1.6 petrol.

what's the difference between it and the formula gold version ?

a bigger bottle and stronger concentration solution from what i can tell.

Yeah fuel filter is a non replace Part as its part of the fuel pump I think. I also have a emconfig and forscan setup and no codes are present .

I think its just been dirt in the system as so far it's driving well so I will Maybe keep using the wynnes stuff and see how it pans out.