Sign in to follow this  
Welshie

Hot Ecoboost Engine / Bonnet??? Zetec S

Looking for some help any Fiesta Zetec S owners please. Should be collecting a 1.0 125 bhp ecoboost engine 64 plate this weekend but one concerning thing is how hot the bonnet gets. We took the car out for its test drive for about 20 minutes. Didn't work it overly hard, bit of bypass driving and country lanes. Got back to the dealership and the centre of the bonnet was so hot you couldn't hold your hand on it. Am told this is 'normal' by the dealership but when I feel the bonnets of other ecoboost engines they are much colder. Admittedly this wasn't a Zetec s edition. My question to anyone out there is - is it normal to get so hot?? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Did you notice if it had the under-bonnet insulation? I would think that would keep most of the heat inside the engine bay but I could be wrong. If the temperature shown on the dash is in the normal range (4 bars is normal I think) then it's probably ok, and you have a warranty so any overheating issues will be covered.

Yes it has its insulation, we checked under the bonnet of this one vs a different one and it all matched so to speak. The rookie mistake was not checking the temp gague when we got back. No warnings or anything went off to say it was too hot, and the fan didn't kick in but just to ease my mind I'm off to take it out again tomorrow. Thanks for your help

Need to check my bonnet on next run. Have never done this.

What made u think to touch bonnet ?

Its just something my dad happened to do and then he swiftly removed his hand! I had been driving the car quite enthusiastically shall we say so we r now thinking it was this that made it run so hot. Am off to take the car out again at lunchtime so will let u know what it's like. Am becoming slightly obsessed with 'feeling up' fiesta bonnets now! Any info on the hottness of yours would be great tho. Thank u

I suppose it would make sense for the bonnet of any car to get hot. A lot of the hot air from the engine will get trapped at the top of the engine bay, and the bonnet being metal will conduct a lot of that heat.