Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Tester Vs Bulbs

michaelhayler17

Heres a funny one, my mate had his car fail on 3 light bulbs, as they were all upside down, is this tester very observant or just a jobs worth? Has this happened to anyone else or has he just found the most P.C. tester of all time?!

• Like 1

A headlight bulb on the passengers side, and both sidelights. No idea what upside down has to do with it!

Headlight bulb upside down will cause beam pattern to be incorrect, so thats a reasonable fail, as for sidelight bulbs fronts wont make any difference , but rears could be double filament and fitted the wrong way making brake and sidelights to work incorectly,

Think your mate not telling the whole story to you.

• Like 3

They were definatly all front bulbs, headlight bulb was blindin on comin traffic, so understandable. But he defo said both front side lights, which is why im askin, as it is a strange one.

Cant see how you could fail sidelight bulbs on front unless there not working, not much else to test sidelights other than colour or positioning, mot system wont allow failure on obscure reasons

• Like 1

The third is self explaintory, but the first two were to dim to pass, taken out and put back in the other way up and passed! Im at a loss...

post-52426-144338577205_thumb.jpg

Sure the sidelight bulbs are 501, so if taken out and put back in then was a case of bad conections causing dim bulbs, not upside down.

• Like 2

I understand a bad conection, but why say they were upside down? Just say bad connection. Obviously the tester has a sense of humor then...

Maybe its a lesson to all car owners to check the basics of lights, tyres , wipers etc and make all fine before going for mot, and a make note of how headlight bulbs fit before replacing them . Lol

• Like 4

Think it depends on the tester. Mine passed it's mot with one headlight bulb not fitted properly.

Didn't realise myself as I'd not driven at night before hand, but as soon as I switched them on I had a weird trident pattern on the road.

That should have been a fail though? Seems to b the luck of the draw there.

Definitely a fail, mot tester must had his eyes closed when checking beam pattern

• Like 2

I suspect given the recent clamp down on MOT stations, he is reinforcing his rigerous testing...

Basically "look, I spotted a bulb or three upside down, thats how thorough I am!"

• Like 1

They recently went and hammered down on everyone, one on ten mot stations have been fined and risk losing their license for breach of duty, such as failing cars and charging for work that doesn't need doing, likewise, missing things and allowing dangerous vehicles on the road.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Havent seen dsa representavives round our way at all, actually not had a visit for 4+ years , my neighbour is our local dsa man , there all to busy to come round, even the 5yr refresher training for mot testers has stopped so the trainers can cope with the new computer system.

• Like 2

I was reading about it in motoring. Co. UK newsletter and been chatting to a couple of guys I know in tg local mot stations, they agreed it's beneficial and they passed without advisory, in fact they were complimented on their approach to some things (chucking a free bulb in for the pass and such).

Mot operates on a traffic light system , good garages in green , orange in suspect and red in garages with issues. Those in green get visited rarely, red visited more often. Etc

• Like 1

I was reading about it in motoring. Co. UK newsletter and been chatting to a couple of guys I know in tg local mot stations, they agreed it's beneficial and they passed without advisory, in fact they were complimented on their approach to some things (chucking a free bulb in for the pass and such).

That is what happened here, the tester failed it initially, but changed them (to work correctly) free of charge and re-tested aswell.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club