Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.4 Water In Spark Plugs/ Misfiring

Dave_TDCI

Well lads

I know this topic has been covered a few times on the forum as I have read up on it and found it very informative. However my girlfriends 2006 1.4 petrol Focus seems to have this issue of misfiring again.

Roughly 3 years ago this problem developed which I then brought to a mechanic who diagnosed that there was water in around the spark plugs causing the engine to misfire. He replaced the spark plugs and ignition leads which cured the problem.

The following year this problem happened again which I brought back to the mechanic a second time and he repeated what he first did draining out the water, replacing spark plugs and ignition leads.

A month ago this problem has happened a third time and after reading up on this forum I knew what the issue was. The car had the EML light on and was hesitating and juddering a lot. I unplugged the ignition leads but was was no water in around the spark plugs this time. Just to make sure I blew each opening with a hairdryer for a few mins, got a new set of ignition leads and refitted them. This cured the hesitation and misfiring and EML light went off. I taped up the area around the washer jets to try stop them leaking in and covered the top of the engine with a matt type thing I made to help.

After 3 days yet again the car has started juddering and hesitating again. There is currently no visible water in around the spark plugs and the new ignition leads seemed to cure the problem for 2 or 3 days so I can't understand how its back again.

There is on EML light on the dash at the moment and it isn't as bad as before but upon acceleration hesitates and is very jerky.

I bought new spark plugs the last time I changed the leads but couldn't fit them as I didn't have a ratchet long enough. Could the cause be just that the spark plugs need to be changed as well?

I'm not changing the ignition leads a fourth time as I could be changing them every week at this stage. The car is down on power and jerky and I think its borderline dangerous to drive at this stage but I don't know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A fault code would be useful in determining the cause of the EML illuminating

Either faulty coil pack or a fault in the coil pack wiring also if the plugs aren't gapped at 1.0mm and left at 1.3mm it will burn out the coil pack this was why ford changed the gap to 1.0mm in the first place also cheap coils don't help a genuine one should be Bosch

Didn't get the fault code when the EML light was on but should of. Don't think I can get one at the min as the light is currently on or has been since I changed the leads.

I vaguely remember the coil pack being changed maybe 4 or 5 years ago but can't be sure. I do know though that the current coil pack is Bosch.

One thing actually I forgot to mention and is a bit concerning it sometimes when when accelerating as the car is jerking there is a bit of a bang coming from the engine, as if someone let off a small firecracker or something. Any idea what this could be?...I don't like the sound of it!

Possible engine mount or something loose on the underside ide hedge my bets its the gearbox mount a ten minute Job for a garage to change

Hey,

I had this problem on my 2005 focus. It was the core plugs. very common problem. Look it up on utube. Let me know if it was them.

On the Mrs 2005 focus we have had all this and this only a couple of weeks ago it's had a new Cat !

2005 2.0L Petrol Focus

Possible engine mount or something loose on the underside ide hedge my bets its the gearbox mount a ten minute Job for a garage to change

Would the gearbox mount actually make a small explosion noise occasionally if that was the problem?...I hope you're right, would be an easy fix it if is :)

Hey,

I had this problem on my 2005 focus. It was the core plugs. very common problem. Look it up on utube. Let me know if it was them.

When you say core plugs are you referring to the spark plugs mate yeah?

On the Mrs 2005 focus we have had all this and this only a couple of weeks ago it's had a new Cat !

2005 2.0L Petrol Focus

On your Mrs's Focus were the initial symptoms jerking and being down on power which led to the new Cat?...Sh*t hope it isn't that!

The thing that really baffles me is the fact that in the past when the ignition leads have been replaced is has cured the problem but only for a few days in the last instance. Gives the impression that the problem is with the leads but I don't see why new ones would be causing the problems again especially when I check and they are bone dry.

I have a set of spark plugs which I haven't fitted yet. They come in Ford genuine packaging for the motor factors so I'm assuming the gap is 1.0mm.

It's a pity this problem has occurred so many times because other than that the car has given no trouble in over 5 years (apart from bonnet lock going also).

Assume nothing and check them as its very easy for them to get nocked during storage/shipping.

I suspect with all the issues that maybe it's down to the coil pack.

Get an elm127 reader so you can see what error codes are being produced, if any rather than slowly replacing the hole car.

Hi what I can say is it was running rough as if it was missing but wasn't the garage replaced a sensor 1st cos this was the cheapest option again it corrected itself for a couple of weeks then the eml light came on again and the code reader shown it to be the cat.the Core plugs were done in May both were corroded and leaking coolant into the spark plug well

2005 2.0L Petrol Focus

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club