Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator Seized? :(

Jennj

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me please? I have a problem with my 1.8 zetec and have no idea what to do! Please bear with me as I'm not very technically minded...

Went to go out in my car yesterday afternoon (it hadn't been used since New Years Eve) and it would not start unless I put my foot on the accelerator - got it going anyway and it began to squeel quite loudly. Gave it a few revs in the hope the squeeling would stop, but smoke started coming from under my bonnet. Turned it off, opened the bonnet and started it again to try to see where the smoke was coming from, which was next to the belt on the left hand side of the engine.

post-71074-0-53385400-1452267369_thumb.j

Not my actual car, just a google image!

The car hadn't been started for about a week. The battery light stayed on the first time I looked at it, but just had another look this afternoon and the battery light has gone off. The belt looks ok, its sort of visibly worn on the part you can easily see and the width of it is about 2cm so still fits on its wheels (pulleys?). The car was only ran for a maximum of 30 seconds, but these wheels were quite hot to the touch. The belt is tight and has no play in it.

I've been advised it might be that the alternator is seized. I don't want to drive it anywhere in the fear of doing more damage and I would prefer to fix this problem myself than paying over the odds at a garage.

If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Jen

try you tube there vids on there that show you how to change a alternator

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club